Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front Right Shock problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Right Shock problem??

Discovery I, 1997, all stock.

I first started hearing a strange thumping noise, sounded firm, though maybe a caliper was loose as I would hear it when bumps or rough road. I could also feel the thud in the driver's floor board.

Upon investigation I was able to determine what I think is the problem although I am not sure what part I am actually looking at, the shock, some other portion of the shock.

The photo with the hard greasy looking ring around the nut area is where the problem seems to originate.

Can any of you smart Discovery folks explain from the photos what I a seeing?

The first photo is left side, 2nd photo is the right, seems normal

Attached Thumbnails Front Right Shock problem??-wp_20150326_001.jpg   Front Right Shock problem??-wp_20150326_002.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

The first pic looks toasted.....literally. Looks like it caught on fire or melted or something.
The other one looks better, though a little small.
You can buy new shock bushings for $.50-.99 a piece from RovahFarm I think.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

So what is the fix? just jack up that side to take weight off shock and take off bolt then new bushing and tighten back down till tight?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

There are 2 bushings top 2 bushings bottom the second pic might just need to be tighter. First pic looks like slathered in grease or someone took a torch to it

Something else that bangs is the sway bar frame bushings and bad or loose radius arm bushings

Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Push up and down aggressively on the bumper. Check for slop/play in the shock bushings.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when did you get this truck

Old 03-27-2015, 06:42 AM
3rd Gear

I have had this Discovery for a four years.

Paid $1800 for it in Utah, unstoppable machine. It is currently with me in Lima, Peru.

The greasy looking material has always been there but the noise is a recent thing. I assumed that the greasy goop was put there to maybe stop a squeaky bushing etc. as I have compared the two.

So the bolt and nut I am looking at are the top of the shock itself?

Do I have to do anything special beside jack up the respective side and unbolt and replace ensuring the bushing/washers are placed correctly?

Old 03-27-2015, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"i" would remove the 4 bolts on the shock tower and the two bolts on the bottom of the shock and lift the whole unit out from the top.
yes, what you are looking is the nut and washer on the top of the shock.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by drowssap
"i" would remove the 4 bolts on the shock tower and the two bolts on the bottom of the shock and lift the whole unit out from the top.
yes, what you are looking is the nut and washer on the top of the shock.
This, except on D1's there is only 1 nut to remove on the bottom. Be advised it can be a pain and depending on corrosion and time the shocks have been on the truck it could be tricky. Soak the nuts with penetrating oil a few days ahead of time. Most shocks have a flat on the end of the pin so you can hold the shock from turning while backing the nut off. Otherwise you might be able to wrap a towel around the shock body, and grab it with channel locks or a pipe wrench through the spring.

Once you get the shock and tower out you can work on it on a bench, much easier. You'll want to make sure the shocks are still good, too. There's a good possibility you'll find the shocks are toast once you pull them.

Download the RAVE Manual. Almost everything on these trucks is bolt-on/bolt-off. You don't need hardly any special tools.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

a rubber strap wrench can work good for holding the shock, the flat area on the end of the shock iirc takes a 1/4" open end wrench to hold from spinning once the nut is loose, i still think your bang is something else i would be checking suspension bushings imo

Quick Reply: Front Right Shock problem??