Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel Pump Relay Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Relay Location

Hi Disco fixer uppers and experts!!

I am trying to locate the correct Fuel Pump Relay..
I located the Relay Panel - It is is that right foot of the Passenger side - "Passenger Side Kick Panel".

My delema - I don't know which relay is the Fuel Pump Relay.
The attached Pictures are the Top row - closest to the top of the truck - and the Bottom row - closest to the bottom of the truck.

It appears that the the Previous Owner (PO) has replaced the original Fuel Pump Relay with the after market "yellow" relay as sold by AZ or Kragen.

Any help in identifying the correct relay is highly appreciated. I will end this thread with a pic of the correct Fuel Pump Relay.

Top Row of Relays - Passenger Side Kick Panel -

Bottom Row of Relays -

Thanks,
Trav...

Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Looking at pix in electrical manual of RAVE I would guess the center blue one with blue base on top row. But it should have these wire colors going to the base: White & green (2 of them), white & purple (2 of them), purple & white (1), white & orange (2 of them). See attached photo from RAVE. The RAVE electrical troubleshooting manual has schematics, wire colors, connector layout, and photo of location. D2 owners get pictures in color (lucky them).

BTW, normally fuel pump runs only for a few seconds when key is turned, and if ECU does not detect engine turning at 80 rpm or better it cuts off. Of course the inertia switch if not reset kills the fuel pump as well.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 c240.pdf (638.2 KB, 3712 views)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Mudding

SB,

Thanks so much for your help..

I'm gonna order a replacement and hope that's the fix to my intermittent start up issues..

Thanks again,
Trav...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bet it is not the relay!

Check out your starter ground!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Mudding

Danny,
Starter ground?
The start turns the engine over no problem, is just appears that no gas is reaching the rails.

Please explain, if I'm wrong, I'd rather be right...

Thanks,
Trav...

Old 09-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you don't hear the pump running for a few seconds, and fuse is good, and relay makes no difference, time to pull up carpet slightly in rear and read voltage at the pump plug. My D1 pump draws about 5 amps, so you can also read it with an amp meter from under the hood, in series with inertia switch. You have reset and/or metered both sides of inertia switch?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Mudding

SB -

Every time the issue has occurred - unfortunately - I've been away from my garage. Away from tools - I've tried and tried to get the issue to resurface in the drive way - running the rig for an hour even and then turning it off - Sure enough she starts right back up.. But I know that as soon as I take her down to the grocery store - I'll be stuck again.. At least that's the fear..

I know where the inertia switch is. However, I don't know anything about resetting it.
Can you please explain.. ???

I have not changed out the Fuel Relay yet- Should I still plan to do this?

Thanks,
Trav...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found my fuel pump relay at about my left knee under dash on a small bracket with three relay thingies on it one odd large green top, reads fan control ,on rhs of bracket on lhs two smaller and different from all the relay tops that i found in side kick panels,same sort of bottom but tops were a smaller bosche metal type. the bottoms were black and a blue which matches one of the various colour codes i was told about. At this stage i think they may be( blue) fuel pump,( black) fuel injection control relay. I deduced the location,because i have a spare truck with some engine issues but still runs and was able to see and hear what should happen.I put tester on inertia switch (pos+on leadin to,( in..switch ),neg-on steering collum earth point or just metal(check your earth with other power source before ), and no power reading untill key in final positon but only for about three seconds . so it read going up to 12-14 volts at key on and then read going back to zero ....in the working truck and in the broken truck at key on read 0.3 volts (?????).... no voltage up, then down??. back to good truck voltup aahhhh!( CLICK) and volts down hmmmm?! repeat a few times and noticed this .....key on (click) power up 3-secs (click) power down ***previously i have read pump is powered to prime for start but somethingy senses engine not running and power is cut to pump until somethingy senses engine running **** so now i knew that in broken truck there was no click pwr up click pwr down ,so i chased up the click maker (relay)s swapped the three of them (not necesary if u know which one it is)... and its been 4 days since i heard that sweet and taken for granted barooooommm!!!!!!!so doin the homer dance !!!!********* l e n g thy story, to verify thats where my relays were in a feb built 93 sollihull disco. and an august built 93 sollihull(factory) disco..very and thanks for being here lro people

Old 04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear
Unhappy Where is my fuel pump relay

I looked behind the right side kick panel. The top row only has two relays the bottom row three. my manual and rover dealer say there should be five there. Everything matches up except for the missing relays one of wich should be the fuel pump.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default No Fuel Pressure in Injector rails

It may not even be my relay. I just know I am not getting fuel to my injector rails. i have eliminated my fuel pump as the problem. I connected a 12 volt power supply to the pupm itself and it kicked on pumping fuel. when connected throught the jones plugs though it does not kick on. This 97 discovery gave no issues. just died yesterday while driving.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Location