Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help with MAF, IACV, Spark plugs - error P1316 & P0300

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Help with MAF, IACV, Spark plugs - error P1316 & P0300

Hi,

Recently pulled my VSS as my 97 Disco SD with the R380/was surging and had an erratic speedo.

Shortly after pulling, it would stall when coming to a stop.

Yesterday I cleaned the IACV, and MAF. Took it for a spin, and then got error codes P1316 and P0300. It seemed to stall upon starting it up a few times as well as stall when coming to a stop... Didn't seem to idel nicely at all.

Grabbed new NGK plugs and ensured proper part number and gap (already have Magnecor 8mm wires) and installed this morning. Started vehicle and it almost stalled, but then stabilozed and seemed to settle down... Went for a spin and same symptoms. Surging, RPMs are up and down, and it stalled twice. Feels like it is misfiring... Any ideas?

Also, I only use 94 octane fuel from Chevron since owning this in 2007. Occasionally I'll throw seafoam in to gas tank for fuel to clean injectors and loosen any crud.

Thank you for your help and time!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

have you checked the fuel pump pressure ?....it should be in the low to mid 30's psi

Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
have you checked the fuel pump pressure ?....it should be in the low to mid 30's psi
No, but I will now. Seems like the last culprit would be a fuel pump (not filter) gone bad or in the process of dying. I came across one or two posts referring to that yesterday.

Thank you for the reply XCELLER8.

Will post updates

Last edited by archaeology_student; 04-18-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Winching

Hmmm... odd thing is I went to start the vehicle up, and it was running smooth and didn't stall. I took it for a spin, and it did not stall at first. It now only seems to stall when coming to a stop on a decline (down hill) stops. When I am flat ground it really isn't stalling. nor does it stall when I am stopped on an incline (uphill). I also put a can of seafoam in the fuel tank, as well as filled the tank to half a tank.

I have a weird gut feeling that I let the tank get empty and it picked up crud and has somehow blocked / plugged the fuel filter. The vehicle sat for a year without any stabilizer and even a quarter tank of 94 octane fuel will go bad.

I don't recall if and when the filter was replaced. I also read somewhere that the fuel pump has a small filter/screen on the botom that gets plugged. Is there a small screen on the fuel pump that can be clogged? It just feels like it doesn't have enough power.

I think I will go ahead and replace fuel filter today, and then check fuel pressure. It wouldn't hurt, and at least I know I will have some more new parts in the Rover.

Last edited by archaeology_student; 04-19-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

get a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough hose so that you can tape it to the windshield while you are driving.....that'll help with the diagnosis

Old 04-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Pressure reg could be shot

IACV could be shot

MAF could be shot, mine would start and sound like it wanted to stall, misfire backfire when driving, no power

Old 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Winching

Getting to this this weekend. Quick question. I read that to replace the fuel filter I need to let the vehicle starve by pulling fuel sender fuse(s) and running vehicle until it stalls...

Question, do I need to use the fuel pressure bleeder valve as the manual mentions, or can I skip that part and gently crack the front of the fuel filter nuts and ease pressure out that way and then replace the fuel filter?

Any personal dangers to that such as getting sprayed with fuel or...?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If you run it until it stalls there will hardly be any pressure and when you push the bleeder it will be nil and you'll know for a fact there's nothing to worry about. That IS the best method.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
If you run it until it stalls there will hardly be any pressure and when you push the bleeder it will be nil and you'll know for a fact there's nothing to worry about. That IS the best method.
Swapped out the old fuel filter for a new NAPA fuel filter... it sure is easy when you have a curb and a 2" lift

So far so good! Noticeable improvement and no more stalling. Will report back with fuel pressure reading

Thank you for the help!