Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

High Idle!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
The TPS is right next to it, in your picture. Right behind the disconnect connector.

Have you yet tried disconnecting your TPS?

I had a similar problem when the cam of the throttle body, un-clocked, from the TPS cam. You can instantly tell if you disconnect it.

Did you do a thread on this or got any more details?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rover De Land
I hate when people spend money because there mis informed.. Ok not bragging but I think I'm the master with this. I had the same problem various times..

Chances are your oll TPS was good, the computer just forgot what base closed was. Unfortunately you HAVE to have adaptive values reset. Usually 1hr shop charge. Don't even bother trying anything else. Trust me I tried it all.. You drive without the TPS plugged In and then plugged it in.. Have to have it reset sorry
Do not for any reason remove TPS or unplug it unless its already broke..

I want to ask you a couple of questions after reading this and your following post.

Are you 100% sure about the "advice" you are giving?

I see a relatively low number of posts from you and your advice is in direct contradition with some other members who have extensive knowledge about these vehicles from their own personal experiences, please ensure that when you do give advice that it is correct.

Can you provide the specific details to justify your position?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset computer module.

Originally Posted by Rover De Land
I hate when people spend money because there mis informed.. Ok not bragging but I think I'm the master with this. I had the same problem various times..

Chances are your oll TPS was good, the computer just forgot what base closed was. Unfortunately you HAVE to have adaptive values reset. Usually 1hr shop charge. Don't even bother trying anything else. Trust me I tried it all.. You drive without the TPS plugged In and then plugged it in.. Have to have it reset sorry
So let me get this straight. The way to reset your computer is to run the vehicle with the tps sensor unplugged?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In my somewhat narrow experience, my D1 would not idle below 1700. When IACV replaced, computer would not "learn it" no matter which "dance steps" I tried from various forums. Ended up getting an ECU and an IACV from same donor vehicle. The practice of taking to shop for parameter reset is a valid one ( I was too cheap and too stupid). I don't think the CPU is reset by running with TPS off, but a TPS failure can make truck run bad and cut off at aboyt 1800 rpm. My base closed reads a little over 9% on the scanner for TPS position. Zero physical position may not be "zero" to the computer.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:44 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Do not for any reason remove TPS or unplug it unless its already broke..

I want to ask you a couple of questions after reading this and your following post.

Are you 100% sure about the "advice" you are giving?

I see a relatively low number of posts from you and your advice is in direct contradition with some other members who have extensive knowledge about these vehicles from their own personal experiences, please ensure that when you do give advice that it is correct.

Can you provide the specific details to justify your position?
GTFOH Do you know who I am? The infamous spencer. Don't remember me do a search. I changed screen names..

YES IMMSURE AS TO WHAT IM SAYING! Go Messing around with it for no reason, maybe it will work after, maybe NOT. You'll be paying the dealer an hour.

As for me I have around 4 experiences with this. You can have a good TPS checked by Meyer or even better through obdII, but once the ecu detects DONETHING changed you'll be in fault mode and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO, other than reset values.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by deepski@live.com
So let me get this straight. The way to reset your computer is to run the vehicle with the tps sensor unplugged?
No!? That's a good way to get it into limp mode though with an idle around 2200-2500rpm

Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
In my somewhat narrow experience, my D1 would not idle below 1700. When IACV replaced, computer would not "learn it" no matter which "dance steps" I tried from various forums. Ended up getting an ECU and an IACV from same donor vehicle. The practice of taking to shop for parameter reset is a valid one ( I was too cheap and too stupid). I don't think the CPU is reset by running with TPS off, but a TPS failure can make truck run bad and cut off at aboyt 1800 rpm. My base closed reads a little over 9% on the scanner for TPS position. Zero physical position may not be "zero" to the computer.
Correct closed is usually between 9-12.

Only other option besides reset is a junkyard ecu and matching TPS. Ask me how I know..

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Well I did ask you to justify that statement, but instead of providing definitive information you went into a rant, so Just How Do you Know?

I do not care who you are!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Mudding

LOL!

That is all

Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Danny, its true that a high idle can be due to the ECU being out of whack and needing to be reset. This cannot be done by the shade tree mechanic. You need fancy wahzoo computers.
High idle could be attributed to a great number of other things, but it could also be the base values needing reset.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Idle!