Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I can't (or really don't want to) believe it's the VSS again

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can't (or really don't want to) believe it's the VSS again

Alright, was driving to work this morning and the speedo & odometer on my disco quit working 55MPH to "0" with no jumping. Along with that, I got (2) codes 1316 & 0300 almost simultaneously. VSS is pretty new (within the last 10,000 miles) and was a Genuine replacement part, but the speedo & the UG both say "0". I looked at the plug & it looks like it's in there, but then I was wearing a suit too.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

could just be a connector issue....but your data strongly suggests a VSS issue of some kind.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm thinking electrical of some kind. I had to run to a meeting a bit ago and when I backed out of my space, the UG read 2.86MPH in reverse, but when I put it in drive I had nothing on the speedo or the UG. Drove for about 15 miles & nothing. Stopped & ran into a store, and when I pulled out of the parking lot, the UG & speedo read speed exactly the same for about 1/2 mile, and then nothing again. On the way back to the office I started with nothing & then everything started working as normal (with the exception of going to "0" on both for about 300 feet). Can't wait to see what I get when I leave today. Now if it's not the plug at the VSS, what else should I be looking for? I know when it went original one went out, I would get warnings I was driving 118MPH on the UG when I was sitting still and the speedo bounced a lot (neither being the case here).

Last edited by wrongway1; 04-02-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM
TReK

I've been thinking on this a bit more when I recalled this thread...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...88/#post439323

One poster suggests that UG and the speedo get readings from different sources. If true (and I don't know if it is or not), the problem may be something else.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, I remember reading this now. That would tell me it's between the VSS and the ECU as they are either both dead or alive at the same time. I did see on AB that there's a VSS wire harness repair kit. If that's the case, perhaps it's the wiring harness....?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You may just want to crawl under and look real good, make sure its plugged in good and get a good look at the wiring, never know could have shorted on the exhaust, insulation could have cracked in the cold any salt got inside started eating the wire .......

Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM
TReK

Looked at the GEMS obd document and found your codes listed as such....
Excess Emissions Misfire Fault P1316
Random / Multiple Misfire P0300

The VSS fault code is P0500 (which you do not have thus far)

And this from the electrical manual...
Speedometer
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (X190) sends a signal to
the speedometer in the form of voltage pulses. The
pulses are filtered by a Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer
inside the speedometer. The voltage alternates
between battery voltage and 0 volts 6 times per
wheel revolution. The speed sensor signal is also
sent to the Cruise Control ECU (Z121), Multifunction
Unit (MFU) (Z148) (Persian Gulf States), and the
Engine Control Module (Z132).

In conclusion, it appears the sequence is VSS --> Speedo --> ECM --> OBD port (Ultragauge)

Last edited by WaltNYC; 04-03-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Crawled under the Disco last evening. Pulled the plug, checked/cleaned the connections & wires a few inches back on the plug with no change to the no or intermittent speedo reading. Guessing there is a power issue to the VSS & more wire checking then.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Update, got under the disco today. Pulled the plug to the vss, cleaned it, removed the transducer to make sure it was spinning free, and reinstalled everything back with dylithic greese. Still no speedo. Ideas?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

weird, today I drove up 33 miles to my ex-wife's place, I was measuring the mileage. I noticed about 1/2 way home after leaving my speedometer was not working. It worked going there, I got a reading when I arrived. Anyways, back to the VSS (first time no speedometer or odometer reading), took it apart, the abs plastic shaft that the magnetic wheel is on, and slips over a metal shaft, was broke off. Guess I need to get a new one for sure now. Rovah Farms has a good price it seems.

Quick Reply: I can't (or really don't want to) believe it's the VSS again