Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I think to towed a bit to much...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I towed a bit to much...

I was moving from Wisconsin to Colorado towing a 5'x8' Uhaul trailer packed to the max. Went ok until a snowstorm in Iowa. Now when I accelerate I have a popping sound, I can feel it in the steering wheel. Only happens under stronger acceleration, mostly climbing elevation. I notice some lack of power. Steering got sloppy as well. Kind of wondering where to start, or find a good Rover mechanic (with out dealer costs) in Denver Colorado. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

'95 Discovery I V8i 3.9l Stock suspension. Automatic trans.

Last edited by Jon Pitts; 01-12-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Now when I accelerate I have a popping sound, I can feel it in the steering wheel"

I may have an idea, but need a little more on the above: You can HEAR a popping sound and as you hear this you can also FEEL something in the steering wheel?

Is it a a side to side rocking of the steering wheel, together with the "popping" noises? Alternatively, is it a general thump onto the front wheels assembly which you can feel as a shock because your hands are on the steering wheel which is connected to the steering rod which is connected to the wheels?

Is the sound a real "pop" like in a backfire, or is it a "bump"? I translate a "pop" to some explosive noises like a series of backfiring.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I found the problem. When I was tuning things up I gave it a few revs while I was under the hood. Left hand exhaust manifold might be cracked. I got hit with a pop while building rpms. Right next to the steering rod, so it makes sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Could be

Originally Posted by Jon Pitts
I believe I found the problem. When I was tuning things up I gave it a few revs while I was under the hood. Left hand exhaust manifold might be cracked. I got hit with a pop while building rpms. Right next to the steering rod, so it makes sense.
I had a similar issue and the problem appeared during a real steep, very long winding track getting to a hunting camp. It was merely the two-aperture gasket between the manifolds (both of them needed replacing but one had blown out), and the exhaust front pipes.

NAPA wanted $60 each for these and got them off the internet for under $6.

A cracked manifold seems very rare to me - never had that in 50 years of owning any vehicle and in regular use under very hard conditions.

My other thought was vehicle speed sensor. So many darn sensors of poor quality that have critical outcomes in these vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
Jon Pitts (01-28-2015)