Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I'm Pretty Sure My Radiator Hose Wasn't Designed This Way

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm Pretty Sure My Radiator Hose Wasn't Designed This Way

So I'm sitting at Sonic today for about 20 minutes and I look down to see that my Temp needle is buried at "H". So I shut her down, pop the hood and let her cool down. I started the process of elimination on finding the issue and the first thing to jump out at me was this beauty. Now I'm pretty sure Rover didn't put a flexible/closable hose between the radiator and water pump. Which by the way shrinks closed after 2k rpms. I called advance and they wanted 190$ for a thermostat and that piece of rubber. Did you guys shell out for this or fab one and if so, how?
Name:  MyrtleBeach-20110502-00309.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  60.2 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I bought mine from rock auto, they were the URO parts brand, and very cheap, but they seemed to work, not sure how long they would last. For my D2, I bought a kit from Atlantic British, and ONE of the hoses in that kit was a URO hose.... most were land rover.

Atlantic British has kits with all the hoses for the D1, most for less than $100 depending on year and emissions.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy some heavy guage wire from the hardware store and create a spring that you can coil through the hose. This should help. If you can find stainless steel or brass/copper works best. Has to be thick wire as to not collapse upon squeezing. Of course when you install make sure there are no sharp edges that can puncture the hose.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 05-02-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

You hoses shouldn't be doing any "shrinks closed" business either. If anything, I'd expect them to expand slightly as pressure build in the system. I'd make sure everything flows well.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:15 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

I bought a new one when I changed my thermostat but never used it. Now it is a spare. cost me $32. A thermostat is $15 tops!

Roversnorth.com or roverparts.com are your friends.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like the right hose, but they are screwing you on the price, thermostats shouldn't be but about 15 bucks.

Try RovahFarms. Trevor has good prices, better than most on stuff like that. Or Rovers North always has the correct price at a good price.

I avoid places like advance for my Discovery, but then you know what an A$$ I am.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Mudding

I also noticed when I pinch close the hose it "pulsates" back to normal. Like there is blockage or lack of air flow and its gasping. I'm thinking a coolant flush is in order as well. I have next to none in the resevoir. I may not need to change out the thermostat it was just suggested by a friend of mine that restores broncos for a living. My thermostat is obviously working if the needle showed hot, the fans were all running full blast and now my needle is back at even where it always is. I'm guessing the problem was that hose and a lack of coolant. Thank god I didn't crack this block. Any advice on changing the thermostat or what caused this, they'res no way I'm right about something under this hood.

But we all agree that shrinking hose is a big no/no

Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you shouldn't have problems with it collapseing there should be pressure in it. if the thermostat (which has nothing to do with the function of the needle) is stuck shut the water pump might be creating a vacume on the hose collapseing it. pull the two bolts out remove the thermostat for the time being and see if it is acting right.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Mudding

how to text said thermostat? just open and close it by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a cut and paste wizard today

Test
6. Note rating of thermostat is 88°C. Place
thermostat in a container half full of water. Heat
water, observe temperature at which thermostat
opens. Thermostat is satisfactory if it opens
between 85°C and 89°C.

Quick Reply: I'm Pretty Sure My Radiator Hose Wasn't Designed This Way