Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Insider tips: Rebuild Stearing Gear Box.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Insider tips: Rebuild Stearing Gear Box.

#1. Make sure you have access to a hydraulic press. Check the local machine shops before you start. Sometimes the drop arm is on too tight for the puller tool.
#2. If you are rebuilding because of a leak, check exactly where the leak is coming from. Most commonly the Teflon and rubber seal and end cover seal on the hydraulic piston/rack go bad before others. If this is the case I recommend only replacing these parts instead of tearing completely down. The piston seals are real easy.
#3 REMOVAL/REBUILD: straighten your wheels, mark the position of your drop arm on the steering box, remove drag link from drop arm, remove all bolts from the housing except for the lower bolt closest to the front of the vehicle on the drivers tire side (Just Loosen about ¼). Mark the position of the steering shaft and gear box connection) Remove the steering shaft from the gear box (do not scar the spline). remove the hoses. Remove the last gear box bolt and gear box (drop from bottom).
#4 Clean the gear box thoroughly.
#5 Remove the sector shaft locknut from the backlash allen screw bolt (top) cover plate. (Note be sure the allen bolt does not spin)
#6 Remove the The bolts from the cover plate.
#7 (Note Mark the allen bolt location) Using the backlash allen bolt; loosen the cover plate until it comes off.
#8 Set the drop arm back on the sector shaft and using the worm gear, repositions the drop arm to the position you marked in #3. (Note where the sector shaft wheel is located on the worm gear, (mark the position).
#9 (Note) the correct position of the sector shaft with the hydraulic piston/rack (Look down into the assembly). Page 4 in Rave under steering is not correct. Remember the diagram is reverse from American vehicles. The Piston rack actually has four gear splines and must be lined with the splines exactly the way you found it.
#10 Remove sector shaft (worm gear must be turned far left to release shaft).
#11 Loosen the adjuster for the piston/rack. #13 (Note) Mark the original position)
#12 Remove the Piston/Rack.
#13 (Mark) and then remove the bearing adjuster, locknut and seal #9.
#14 Remove and replace all the appropriate seals. Install in reverse order.
#15 The seal kit does not include the teflon seals for the valve sleeve. #8.
Remember that the diagram is reverse from American vehicles.
Any trouble contact me.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 05-10-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nice

nice rightup...thanks for sharing...

Chris

Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if you can change the selector shaft seals with the steering box still on the vehicle and if so are there any tips for installation? I was able to get the arm off.