Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Key locked in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key locked in ignition

This is for those that have similar issues.
Tried all the shift wigglin', brake light check etc trouble shooting and could not solve the problem. Searched all the forums and nothing seemed to work.
There was a thread on another forum suggesting a fix, but the pics were gone and the write up didn't match.

Symptoms: Key won't turn to removal position.
Disconnected battery and the key would come out, so I knew it had to be one of the sensors locking the ignition.
Took the steering wheel panels off and noticed the ignition was HOT!
Felt around and discovered the trouble point, based on extreme temp, was a gold metal section on the back of the ignition lock.
There are two wires going to this, one black and one orange.
Bend the gold metal tab out enough to reach the plastic "lock" tab that holds the connector in. Push in on black tab and disconnect.
Voila!
No longer has "safety" features of tranny needing to be in park position or brake needing to be engaged to start, but ignition works fine and key comes right out.

Quick and dirty "fix".

Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh, good find and good post. Did you try, just for grins and giggles tightening the nut on top of the shifter? Just curious.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I just did essentially the same thing on my wife's '97. Replaced the unit with one from a manual gearbox.

He's referring to C2014
Name:  97-ignition-C2014.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  35.9 KB

(The lock assembly in the photo is flipped, the smaller diameter on the left is where the key inserts.

The two little pegs on the bottom left in the photo are where X229 attaches and can also prevent key removal as described here:
Name:  X229-operation.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  16.9 KB

Last edited by antichrist; 06-26-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM
4wd Low

Yes, I had tightened the nut in the shifter.
Tom Rowe,
Thanks for the pics - that is exactly the piece I was talking about.
The white connector in the gold metal is the one I referred to.
I may try to replace in the future if the price isn't too extravagant, but for now, I am happy with my "fix".

Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Gas
Overlanding
Unhappy Problem with ignition!

Dear All,

I have been lately on a Desert Drive, everything went ok. We finished up a huge Sand Hill Path and put off the car to have a break with other friends. Tried to start up after 5 Minutes , No Ignition at all, Battery light is strong all electricity is working fine, Radio, AC Fan, Front Light Window ... but no start up. Then we tried to check the Fuse Box, everything in place, open the down section and checked everything in place. closed everything up and magic the car started again. As per previous owner, he advised that he had changed the full key switch because previously due to a certain reason he broke the key in it!!!

Any support on this matter and what I need to do not to fall in the same problem in the middle of no- where and if it happens again any idea how to start up the car again. (Disco 1 Auto 1998 Model)

Regards,

Gas

Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by UsualSuspects
I may try to replace in the future if the price isn't too extravagant, but for now, I am happy with my "fix".
Well, new they are around $400-$500.
If you can locate a used one (still not cheap) you could remove K191 (the gold solenoid) and install the one off the replacement. That would let you keep your same key. It's retained with torx screws.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling

I had the same problem. I unplugged the thing, and no more problems getting the key out. I'm not sure what I lost, but whatever it was (besides the key keeper) I haven't noticed.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Baja

You can remove the key without the transmission being in park, which could be a problem if the transmission brake isn't set.