Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice

Hi.

First of all, I have to say, I know absolutely zero when it comes to the Disco. I've been searching, and reading, and I think I know a few things, but isn't there some saying about a little knowlege being a dangerous thing?

Anyway, I recently came across a '96, 5 speed, 4.0 V-8. I've been casually looking at Disco's over the past few years, and I don't recall ever seeing a 5 speed for sale. I checked the fuel mileage ratings at fueleconomy.gov and they don't even list a 5 speed. I'm guessing they're pretty rare. This particular one is not running, and the seller (dealer) says it's got "an alarm issue". I've read the posts on the spider, so I'm assuming that's what's going on with this one.

It's got 180k, but the inside is in excellent condition. It has no indication of any fluid leaks under the hood, and the heads both appear to be spotless. I'm guessing they were cleaned when they were off, which I therefore assume means somebody did head gaskets.

The dealer wants $1900 for it, non running. That seems a bit ridiculous to me. I get the feeling he thinks it's worth a fortune just because it's a 5 speed. Then again, there's very few for sale in my area, and the ones I have seen were all automatics. The owners typically want $3k + for anything running, or $1000 for one that needs lots of work.

If the alarm issue can be easily fixed, the engine bay is clean, the interior is very nice aside from the headliner sag, tires are close to new, and the body is straight and clean. It appears by all measure to be a very well cared for Disco.

So, questions.....

Is there any way to get the thing to run without tearing the dash apart to get at the spider?

Is the 5 speed really such a rare find?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice appreciated.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Uncommon, but not one of a kind. I paid $1750 for a running 97 auto, and it needed plenty of work. Without it running you are taking a big chance. You can try jumping 12 volts to the starter solenoid (the little wire) under the truck. The shop manual and circuit diagrams are in the RAVE tech manuals, you can download whole set or sections at links below.

MPG 15 - 18, maybe higher in certain conditions. Rovers are designed for frequent stops at petrol stations to allow oil replenishment.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-23-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It could just be the anti-theft, but since it doesn't run you don't know if it also has blown head gaskets, or any number of other possible issues.
Kelly Blue Book lists the 5-speed as a minus, but in reality they usually bring a few more dollars. If you like manual gearboxes then it might be worth considering.
No idea where you are, but look for rust along the door sills, in the wheel arches inside right by the door. Also along the sill at the rear door. You may have to remove some sill trim screws to pull up the carpet some. If it doesn't have sunroofs that's a plus, especially when it comes to rust under the carpet.
It also depends on how much work you're willing to do yourself. The price goes down the more you have to pay someone else to work on it.
If you want it, try walking in with $1500 cash.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're looking at a project truck with high mileage that's probably going to need a lot of work. You could get lucky and get it running by fixing the "spider", but you just don't know. If you decide to buy it, plan on investing plenty of additional time and money into it.
I've seen running Discos on Craigslist for under $1000. Offer him that. You might need to replace the engine, another $3000, give or take. At that point you're breaking even, just keep your fingers crossed there are no issues you can't find because the truck isn't driveable. (Like a bad transmission, transfer case, etc.)
Good luck!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Let it go, not worth it. If you put cash in someone's hands for a runner they will come down in price to get rid of it.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

All good points, and kinda what I figured. Hard to be objective sometimes though, so thanks for the input.

For what it's worth, I'm about half way between Seattle and Portland, so no real rust issues in this area. There's lots to do in the great outdoors here though, and I think that helps keeps prices of these kind of high. Everybody here likes to think their either Lewis or Clark.

I've been looking on craigslist and see Disco's that need lots of work, and have interiors that are beat, for $1000. Also, none of them are 5 speeds. I suppose that's the part that intrigued me, and probably why I never ended up getting one. I hate driving automatics in general.

Thanks for the injection of common sense and logic.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There were like only 500 5-speeds imported each year for 4 years.
$1000, otherwise keep looking.
Do you know if it even turns over?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear

I didn't get into it to the point that I was asking anybody for the keys. I knew once I had the keys in hand and started messing with it, there would be a very high probability of me making an impulse purchase. I'm trying to do less of that these days.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Candy bars are a good impulse purchase, a used Rover is not.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
4wd Low
Thumbs up Buyers Inspections

"Candy bars are a good impulse purchase, a used Rover is not."

I wanted to just like this comment so much.

We do pre purchase inspections and are mobile in the Seattle Puget Sound area. Jahn will go as far as Centralia....maybe Longview

Quick Reply: Buying advice