Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Missfire on cyl 6 please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Wow, never saw that coming! I always think positive from this end (because I can't see, hear or feel what you do). Never in my wildest imagination would I've suspected low compression, it's not common. As a matter of fact yours is the first I've come across in eight years! I'm shaking my head. Yeah, I don't blame you for being bummed out, not at all. When the disappointment wears off (which might take awhile) remove the rocker cover and see if it's rocker related, she might still be an easy fix, you never know until you know.

Sorry to hear the news, hit me like it did you, I guarantee that fact.

The following users liked this post:
M3g474rd (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Same here I had a thought I should check it but never thought it might be that. And thanks for understanding. I know some would have looked at what I said and just said pfft well whatever then. And yeah may take a few days, but last night I did decide ya know what I love this rig and not gonna do what I have done in the past. Get to something that might be big and sell the car cause it either costs too much or cause I don't have the knowledge or ability to fix it.

So in my research found out sometimes it can be just nothing more than a dead head gasket that isn't so bad that it will start leaking coolant, or the valves get damaged, but is bad enough that it will leak compression. Or that sometimes can be nothing more than just gunk sticking up one of the rockers or valves. I am hoping it will be one of those two. Haven't given up hope yet, and don't think I will unless I run into something super major.

Probably won't be till Friday that I work on it again, not sure. Going to let the shock of finding out about the compression wear off, and test some of the other cyl's. Then go in from there. Well that and my room has become quite the mess since have been focusing on the rig, well that and all my work pants really need washed :P

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you are correct it could be a lot of things, bent valve, dropped valve seat (seen that before), if would be worth taking the time to pull the rocker boxes and checking

M3g474rd (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Mudding

That's what I'm hoping is nothing major. Yeah a lot of time consuming work that's fine, but am really hoping against hope that it's something like that, or even the springs, or something like that. Granted if it's major well then will just save up and do when I can. Not giving up on my beastie

ihscouts (09-30-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Mudding
Default Update for 10/3/2015

Heyo sorry for the delay in the update only was able to tear into it today. First did the oil down the plug hole test and compression didn't rise any so that's a good thing, put the plug back in and pulled valve cover off and watched as the motor bumped, and all of em moved as they should or at least they all looked as if they moved the same amount. So that leaves it to pulling the head and checking the rest, which unfortunately wont be able to get to today. But will keep y'all update with what I found out.

Oh also I was wrong on the compression reading of 34, its actually reading round 45-47. Stupid me read the gauge wrong lol. Anyway thanks again for stickin with me through this and for all the ideas and thoughts on it. As well as the support it has meant a great deal to me.

Have a great weekend.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Mudding
Question Small question

Hello all, as far as tearing into pulling the head off goes that won't be till tomorrow. Though I do have a question. Have read quite a few forums where they have told people if your going to have the head off you may as well pull both and have them re-done. Am wondering if this is a good idea, or if it would be going overboard if the only issue is the gasket? Also would it be silly if i could find a set of heads that have been re-manufactured for under $500 to buy them, put them on, and then at a later date have the current heads redone? Anyway thanks again and will keep ya updated with what I find out

Old 10-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Baja

you should have the heads deck so that they are true, nothing wrong with swapping heads out.
I started with a set of $50 heads from a bone yard and had them decked, and just swapped them. Then had those heads decked to go on the 1999, and so on.
this also keeps you from tying up your truck you can do it in a long day or an easy weekend. the other way your truck will be down a few days waiting on the machine shop.

M3g474rd (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

What are your long term plans for this truck?

M3g474rd (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Mudding
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info will be doing that for sure with the heads that are on it now either way. Prob new valves or at least having them cleaned and such.

And as far as what my long term plans are, well honestly to get it running and keep it running for either till the day I no longer can, or till I can no longer drive it (due to back getting worse almost daily)

I have thought on if it would be better to get a different Disco I and use this one for parts, but the cheapest I could find one is about 4-5k in the area I live in. Well that and they are all automatics...ick lol. So I don't mind putting time and money into it. Simply because it was my first Disco I, and it's hard to explain but everyone including myself has come to think of that car as something that is very me. If that makes any sense :P.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Baja

you dont need to do a complete valve job, just have the heads decked, and give them the valve guide seal to replace while they have the heads. a valve job will add another $300 to your cost.

Quick Reply: Missfire on cyl 6 please help.