Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 97 Disco WILL not come out of park!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 97 Disco WILL not come out of park!!

Went to go lunch just now, and my 1997 Discovery is stuck in park!! Almost like when your foot is not on the brake when you try to engage into drive, but my foot is on the brake....PLEASE HELP!!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Listen for the solenoid switch when you apply the break.My problem when I looked was a small ring clamp had popped off on top of the shifter just under the removable top plate.

Last edited by Scope; 11-05-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

have some one check to see if brake lights are working, could be stuck plunger

Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
8th Gear
Default My 97 Disco WILL not come out of park!!

I was just the taillight fuse???? My brake lights were out and I went to check the 15 amp fuse and it had popped! I put a new one in, and it went right into drive! Thanks for all the advise!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

This happened to me the other day. I figured it was a brake switch but didn't know where it was, I pulled out the switch for the cruise, thinking it was the brake light switch and the brake lights came on and stayed on. At least I could get it out of park. When my son got the truck home, the lights worked normally. Next morning, the truck started and worked fine. when he put it in park, then tried to move it, same thing. This time I found the brake light switch was hanging by the wires. When I depressed the switch, the lights came on and we could shift out of park...

Most cars, the switch is depressed to shut off the lights, and when released, the lights go on. Haven't had the time to crawl under the dash to see where the switch goes but it seems backwards. Should I be ordering a switch??

Fuses checked out OK..

Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Replaced the brake light switch, The new one looks to be longer on the plunger end, which I think was the problem. The switch is messed up inside and causing the problems. $20 and back on the roads!!

Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 PM
4wd High

I too had a problem getting out of Park. I checked the pin inside the shifter **** and it was ok. I thought maybe a fuse and checked but ok. I called my mechanic and explained that I was stuck & having problems. I said that recently my anti-lock light had been coming on too. His response was that after checking the fuses were ok, then probably a bad brake switch. He said it is not uncommon for a bad brake switch to cause problems on the Anti-lock system. Who knew?

To get home, he told me to bypass the switch and jumper power to the green/purple wire to activate the solenoid to move the shifter. On my 96 Discovery, the break switch is on top of the cruise control switch. I pulled the connector, used a multimeter to find that the 2nd white wire in was the power. After I started the engine, I put a jumper wire in from 2nd white to green/purple and was able to shift.
Of course, no brake lights because switch disconnected, but I was able to drive it home so I can fix.

Anyway, FYI

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I'll write this here too for future viewers.
Brake Switch Bypass
-drivers side inside rear cargo door, there are two electrical clips on the glass
-one goes to the Third brake light, the other to the Rear Defroster, jumper these two
-start truck, press Rear Defroster button, shift out of Park, press Rear Defroster button again

Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'll write this here too for future viewers.
Brake Switch Bypass
-drivers side inside rear cargo door, there are two electrical clips on the glass
-one goes to the Third brake light, the other to the Rear Defroster, jumper these two
-start truck, press Rear Defroster button, shift out of Park, press Rear Defroster button again
Nice!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Stuck in park

Hey Guys -

What are your thoughts on this? Normal corrections seem not to work

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ck-park-68859/

Quick Reply: My 97 Disco WILL not come out of park!!