Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Not the Blower Motor, transistor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not the Blower Motor, transistor?

I'm electrically incompetent. My AC and Heater stopped working. As in no air whatsoever coming out of the vents. That being said I found my blower motor to work when wired directly to the battery. The connector has power so i assume the blower SHOULD be getting power. But it doesn't.. so would it be the resistor? I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed what I already knew the blower motor works and he said it might be the resistor.

Edit: When I drive sometimes it kicks on for a little while then stops again.

Is this the right part? OES Genuine Blower Motor Resistor for select Land Rover Discovery/Range Rover models : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't be 100% certain if it's the resistor, or just the switch itself. I'll have to look further into this myself soon, as that my blower quit yesterday morning also.. but I switched it all the way off and then back on again. Started working. I'll test this again in less than an hour when I leave work.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won the battle but not the war!!

I play a constant game of cat and mouse with the switch on the facia. I move it back and forth probably about 100 times before I can get the third position to start working. When I do get the 3rd spot to work it's always a glorious day and another battle won.

1st, 2nd position work all the time. 3rd is intermittent (have to play around with it until it gives in). 4th has been DOA since I had the Landy.

I should get around to cleaning the contacts on the switch. Also, when the third position does work sometimes it turns off when I hit a bump and back on again as well Calebbo.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The actual slide switch is prone to problems - see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...picture-51871/

Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

See none of my speed settings work. I just leave it on full blast and hopefully when I hit a bump it will cut on haha

Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full speed bypasses the resistor, so if your blower doesn't work on full speed it's probably the switch. The resistor has no moving parts so is unlikely to be intermittent.

Sounds like all of you probably have switch issues, but there's also the blower motor relay, the Ac switch and the fuse in the engine compartment to look at.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is the switch, it is always the switch on the DI, always.
Take it apart, clean it, put it back, fan works, everytime.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Mudding

I really really want to clean the switch but then again there are more important things to take of first. Diff,tranny,t-case,engine, fluids, rust , breather fittings (every fluid from the front diff to the rear seems milky these days) the list goes on and on............................

Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It takes 10min, do it while the other things are draining.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
It takes 10min, do it while the other things are draining.
For some reason I thought it would be more involved. Add that to the list of todo's for tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Not the Blower Motor, transistor?