Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil spray with oil pressure gauge sandwich adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil spray with oil pressure gauge sandwich adapter

Did some wrenching last night to knock some things off my to do list. One of them was to install a Glow Shift Oil Pressure Sensor. When I started my truck after the install was finished, oil sprayed everywhere! I obviously cut the engine right away, so no damage there. Everything looked to be installed correctly. Ports were plugged, gaskets turned to the right side. The only thing I can think is that I need to use a specific oil filter with the sandwich adapter. I just used a regular purolator that was on sale, but I have seen folks mentioning using a MANN 950/4. Any idease on what the issue may have been? Currently the sandwich adapter is removed and the oil filter is back in place with no leaks or issues.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:54 AM
4wd Low

recently did a sandwich plate adapter for my Disco 1 V8 to run a pressure and a temp sensor. I had to change filters so that it matched the output of the sandwich plate.

The following users liked this post:
jpluncford21 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

It is possible, I am running the Mobil1 filter and had just a slight drip of oil coming from between the plate and filter. I had to tighten it up more than normal. The drip is still there, about a dime size amount every 12 hours.
My next step was to try the MANN.

jpluncford21 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by logan_gibson
It is possible, I am running the Mobil1 filter and had just a slight drip of oil coming from between the plate and filter. I had to tighten it up more than normal. The drip is still there, about a dime size amount every 12 hours.
My next step was to try the MANN.
That may be my next step. I really want to get this finished. I've been sitting on this sensor and the GS water temp sensor for something like 6 months. Ready to get them knocked off the list.

Where did you decide to mount your gauge?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Rock Crawling

I am going to mount it on the A Pillar. I thought about doing it in the middle of the dash, but I like to keep that area clear and free for my tablet.

I haven't picked up a mount yet, hopefully will get one ordered this weekend.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by logan_gibson
I am going to mount it on the A Pillar. I thought about doing it in the middle of the dash, but I like to keep that area clear and free for my tablet.

I haven't picked up a mount yet, hopefully will get one ordered this weekend.
I'll go ahead and tell you that the GS mount is MASSIVE and, to me, looks pretty ugly. I'm looking at modifying my a pillar and fabbing a lower profile mount up with fiberglass or Bondo. There are some good tutorials from folks on here. Maybe check it out

logan_gibson (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jpluncford21
I'll go ahead and tell you that the GS mount is MASSIVE and, to me, looks pretty ugly. I'm looking at modifying my a pillar and fabbing a lower profile mount up with fiberglass or Bondo. There are some good tutorials from folks on here. Maybe check it out
As long as they are functional it will be alright with me. Ill look around at the threads though.
If it is god awful Ill check with my dad to fab up something. He deals with carbon/fiberglass every day.