Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

p0300 random misfire and p0451

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Today i found the connector for the fuel tank pressure sensor. It shared a connection with the taillights. I verified that that was the connection with a multimeter using continuity with the sensor's connector located under the rug in the cargo area.

Unfortunately however the connector was intact and perfectly fine. I think it may be time to consider replacing the sensor.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Winching

Finding a broken connection was worth a shot though thanks anyway.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You did it the right way and good job for taking the time to! Now you know. If you have a Pic-N-Pull or bone yard you can grab a used fuel pump off an 98/99 truck and go that route or check fleabay. They run expensive new, north of what they're worth in my book.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Winching

yes i might be going to u-pull-it tomorrow after church

u-pull-it is the equivalent of pic-n-pull in florida

Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Winching

i've be there before and the first thing people remove in the disco 1 is the cargo bay rug to get to the fuel pump

so this tells me that the fuel tank pressure sensor might be a common problem but it also tells me that the pump is going to be hard to get lol

Old 04-25-2015, 10:20 PM
Camel Trophy

....hard to get cheaply. If I owned an AEL truck I could point you in the decent direction but I don't..... I don't know what type of sensor they used or how to fake the ECM into bypassing it.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
....hard to get cheaply. If I owned an AEL truck I could point you in the decent direction but I don't..... I don't know what type of sensor they used or how to fake the ECM into bypassing it.
Well my local junkjard has an online inventor so I'll keep an eye out. And the week when one comes in I'll go and hopefully be the first one there. To get the fuel pump.
As far as price my local junkyard is pretty fair so.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Camel Trophy

Same here, I can snag a complete used Rover 4L engine for $675 with 70k and the 4 speed off the same low mileage truck is $375, t-case is $275. I looked up a brand new AEL pump assembly on BPUtah and they want $300 whereas a non-AEL assembly on Rovahfarm is $109. The only difference is the pressure sensor with two more wires and the type of fuel line connectors...... BPUtah has a AEL "kit" which consists of the pump, two flex hoses and sock filter for $195? All this is mind boggling. Tom bypassed his pressure sensor because in his case it effected the throttle position sensor and he was dumping fuel and the motor ran like dog poop. They're wired in the same circuit back to the ECM. Yours is fairly specific but I worry that it will eventually lead to the TPS faulting.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
... Tom bypassed his pressure sensor because in his case it effected the throttle position sensor and he was dumping fuel and the motor ran like dog poop. They're wired in the same circuit back to the ECM. Yours is fairly specific but I worry that it will eventually lead to the TPS faulting.
Can you elaborate on this? I have wondered about my TPS because my trans does not shift to overdrive until 55 MPH, even with light throttle, and I've wondered if the ECU thinks the throttle is more open than it actually is.

BTW, it seems ironic that the AEL system has what is called an "anti-trickle valve" designed to keep you from overfilling the gas tank by trickling fuel in, but if my 98 is typical the only way to fill the tank at all is to trickle fuel in verry verry slowly because otherwise the neck fills up and shuts off the gas pump even if the tank is nearly empty.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Camel Trophy

Mine shifts around 53mph, these are hydraulic transmissions, they shift by pressure not throttle position.

If you tackle the fuel filler vent line then you'll fill the tank normally. The weather is getting better...... it would drive me nuts living with that problem. If it was -30F I still would take care of it because I cannot stand disorder........ I live on a lake in the woods and I was the only idiot to clean up three years worth of leaves laying on the woods floor within our property lines of course. The neighbors think I'm loosing it. We happen to be having a very dry spring....... all it would take is one small spark.

Quick Reply: p0300 random misfire and p0451