Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

P1316 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1316 code

My disco 1 has a check engine light on, ran the code and it was P1316. I'm having some hesitation issues after it warms up and the idle will drop super low, almost to the point of stalling. I changed out my MAF thinking that may be causing it and I'm about to change out the IACV early next week. I've replaced all plugs and wires within 10,000 miles. The cats are only 15,000 miles old and the O2 sensors are all brand new. Any thoughts on what could be causing this only code to pop up???

Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you throw any more parts at the thing, which will get expensive real quick, you really need to do some more trouble shooting.

I've been turning a wrench under the shade tree for 35 years, and I've never run across a bad IACV. I've read plenty about others who think it is their problem, but I am suspicious, usually. And every MAF I ever replaced I pretty much ruined myself in a misguided attempt to clean them (2x).

IACV is expensive, and requires a trip to your local dealer to recalibrate the ECU with the IACV, unless you have a copy of testbook lying around. Bet you didn't know that.

I'm not saying it's not your issue. I am not there, I can't see your truck, so I am just guessing.

Typical mechanics workflow ----> rule out the cheap easy stuff first. Get a copy of RAVE. Look for the troubleshooting sections. Follow the diagnostic charts. Ask questions here with lots of descriptive information in them. We will help you fix your truck for the lowest $$$ output.

I would more likely suspect a garden variety vacuum leak might be causing your symptoms. Prolly fix that with some duct tape if you had to. Props to Red Green.

Good luck brother

Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by geek_IM
I've been turning a wrench under the shade tree for 35 years, and I've never run across a bad IACV. I've read plenty about others who think it is their problem, but I am suspicious, usually. And every MAF I ever replaced I pretty much ruined myself in a misguided attempt to clean them (2x).

IACV is expensive, and requires a trip to your local dealer to recalibrate the ECU with the IACV, unless you have a copy of testbook lying around. Bet you didn't know that.
The IACV do go bad as in the guts can rotate instead of the pintle and it breaks all four hair fine wires. Not the case but just say'n. Recently hhoward posted a small hack file for adaptive resets taken from robertf off Dweb. It's posted in his thread. It works to reset a new IACV without Textbook. Pretty slick. The one thing I wanted to mention about the IACV is the pintle and port can get a build up of oil soot and it becomes packed. Cleaning the pintle and port should bring the idle back to 700rpm +/- 20. If not then run the hack file if EVERYTHING else can be ruled out such as a vacuum leak. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...urement-82677/

Any howdy Geek! Haven't seen you around in awhile, what the heck is going on?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Any howdy Geek! Haven't seen you around in awhile, what the heck is going on?
Hey Scouts, what's up.

Listen, did I ever tell you that a 1961 Harvester Scout 80 pickup model with the fold down windshield, this one, but painted Chevy bright blue is my ultimate dream ride? Here she is:

One day I'll have me one. When I'm rich and famous.

Otherwise, just drinkin' and workin' too much. What else is new.

Rover's limping right now, honking horribly from the airbox and misfiring galore. Waiting for warmer weather to dive in.

Hope your rover is climbing snow hills and making proper cabin heat.

Always dig reading what you put down.

Peace brother

-Geek

Old 02-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I sold mine, I'm officially without a Rover! My $50 1994 Saturn SC2 only failed to make it up the snow hills once, I aired the tires down and gave it another shot and wouldn't ya know, made it! I blew out my knee at work and am on the low low for about four weeks now. Gonna be all right though, have another six to go...... feels ok but a ways from being prime time yet. My son is now enjoying my Rover and because he's young it runs better than when I had it......what the hell.

Nice to see a Scout without rot holes and sagging rockers! My favorite style Scout without a doubt. Two thumb screws and the windshield is down. I miss both of mine, super easy to work on. I thought about another....... and still thinking. I've looked at a couple in the last few years, both needed everything. Also looked at an 80 Scout II with the anemic diesel, very few exist probably because they where so crippled dog slow. Have NOT decided on a DII, never will. 99 Callaway is a maybe, decisions decisions. Army said just do it, I may.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Always loved those IH scouts. Had one for work an used it with a car starting unit to get in the parking ramps to start cars in the winter, and plowed snow around the gas station.

Had my second knee replaced Jan 5th and it is doing better than the first one replaced 2 years ago that still doesn't work at 100% my latest one is probably around 50% right now but much better. My D1 is the easiest vehicle to get in and out of except for my smart, but it is down because it had a battle with a deer and is waiting for me to start fixing it. Maybe this coming weekend(??)

Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts
Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Check plugs and wire, for me i was getting p1316 p0300 p0306 and other misfire codes. Turned out to be a coil. Buy a spark plug checker from harbor freight if you don't already have one, most likely it's an electrical issue.