Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Please help my 98 disco is about to have a terrible accident lol.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help my 98 disco is about to have a terrible accident lol.

Ok here it is about 4 months ago I got a 98 disco with a "small miss" from my local ford dealer I drive it and I'm not a mechanical idiot (I've built and raced two track championship super stock dirt track cars plus a few harleys and hot rods) so after my test drive I figured some plugs and wires a lil TLC and it would be fixed but boy was I WRONG but I have always wanted a rover and fell in love with it at the time I thought my wife was the only thing in the world that I could love and hate with equal intensity lol plus when I told my sister and brother in law (they are avid Toyota fans and have a business building crawlers out of them) about getting it they told me that all rovers should be melted down and recycled into Toyota parts so I was even more inspired to build my rover into something I can park on top of there FJ the next time they come to town so I need
It will always start and idle just fine when the motor is bone cold I will start to work and it won't let me accelerate it misses and backfires when ever I press the gas even just a little 4out of 5 times I will pat the petal and some times it will all of the sudden take off like nothing is wrong if I let off the gas it starts the same old miss and backfire starts again after about 20 min of run time it will settle down but I can still hear it missing and backfiring most of the time there are also times it will just die like I shut it off with a dead gas petal and a few seconds later it will be fine or as close to fine as it gets I have been reading threads for months and trying to figure it out but I can't find anything that has all the symptoms of mine I have changed the maf and upstream o2 sensor that the last scanner owned by the shade tree mech across the street said was bad I've put two sets of plugs and wires on it the last set were 8 mm good ones a new fuel filter the compression test was good cleaned the crank sensor and connector along with the tps and idol sensor unplugged it cleaned and moved all the coil packs unplugged the fuel sender checked opened and cleaned the ecu it had no visible flaws The fuel pressure squirts over the fenders all the coils or fire in the same with long arc when I unplugged The plug wires from them it has no cats and a loud exhaust and sucked a can of seafoam into the Plenum all of this has made no change in it at all my wife is a youth substance abuse counselor and has been laid off from her job for 18 months due to govt cut backs and my money situation is tight to say the least and now we have to get her set up for a new job 4 hours from here so I have to get her set up there on a north Alabama construction workers pay so I can't go out and buy the scanners or throw parts at this until I fix it but I need to get it trust worthy enuf to be able to trust it to get me to west Tennessee to see her so that's why I'm here hoping someone smarter than I am can figure this out buy the way the codes on the scanner at the parts store areP1178 p1187 p1316 p1314 p1313 0308 0300 0304 0340 I had them cleared I will post what new ones are there tomorrow thanks y'all in advance

Last edited by Wolfs disco 1; 02-11-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Definitely post what codes come back

When it is running bad and backfires have you ever tried pouring water in the crank sensor? It could be getting hot should be heat shielded in someway mainly cause you say runs great cold and that it backfires and shuts off warmed up, no sure you can look at the sensor and see it is bad

Remember the old flex tube on Carb engines from exhaust to air cleaner to preheat? I have a section of that on the cks,looks like overkill but not my idea and seems to work

Checked all power /ground connections?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for getting back to me I'm not that good at typing but I was trying to say it runs the worst when I first start it but it gets some what better after about 20 min of driving

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

How about a period every now and then? I can't even read that it's so bad.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Long term fuel trim too lean, banks 1&2 (AMFR) P1178
O2S Upstream Heater - Inferred Open Circuit Fault (one heater) P1187
Excess Emissions Misfire Fault P1316
Catalyst Damage Bank B Misfire Fault P1314
Catalyst Damage Bank A Misfire Fault P1313
Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction P0340
Random / Multiple Misfire P0300
Misfire Detected - Cylinder 4 P0304
Misfire Detected - Cylinder 8 P0308

The one thing that jumps out at me is the camshaft position sensor circuit. Over a long period of time I'm sure it would develop each of the codes except for the 02 which you say is now replaced. If it where me, I'd check the connector, it's in a great spot under the alternator/AC compressor bracket. Usually it's coated in oil and when motors hot the oil can contaminate. If it looks clean and solid then I'd replace just the cam sensor and see how she runs.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
LOL......gotta be a world record. I skipped around and finally just did codes, the easiest part.......

Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Ooooo.. I want to say 'something' so bad but the 'Grammar Fairy' is keeping her mouth shut 'this time'. My twin sister has told me that I'm not being nice enough and that I need to learn how to refrain...

it's really hard...

Good luck with the misfires Wolf - wish I knew more about faults but I'm purrfect......

Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Overlanding

Ok I get it grammar and punctuation I didn't realize my post would be graded by mr Cullen my 8th grade English teacher but to be honest that was my last year of school due to an accident my parents had so I had to quit school and earn a pay check I didn't even learn to read or write until the age of 23 so I have always felt less than all of you that had the normal high school thing but I have self taught my self into being one of the best friction crane operators in the country I put my wife through school to get her masters I'm not a idiot the point is I just don't know how to punctuate a sentence I got on here looking for help and a couple of you want to make me out to be a idiot for all the world to see I truly hope it makes you feel better about your self and thanks for help but for the few of you that are worried about punctuation I hope I punctuate this one sentence correctly
"Kiss the darkest part of my Lilly white ***!!!"

Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Do like ihscouts said, also let us know what codes return

Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm sorry I'm being naughty. I just can't help it - really. I'm a horrible, horrible person. I'm just a girl on here that likes to have fun - it wasn't meant to be at your expense xx

Do as ihscouts says - he knows best and maybe I should practice what I preach

Quick Reply: Please help my 98 disco is about to have a terrible accident lol.