Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Pulls to the right under braking. And death wobble!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulls to the right under braking. And death wobble!

My D1 pulls to the right under braking, it's not horrible but it's bad enough where I have to correct it.
Sticky caliper? Wheel bearing?

It also has death wobble over large bumps in the road, I have read it could be a whole host of things. Swivel pin preload, panhard rod bushings, tie rod ends etc. Has any fixed theirs and can tell me what they did and how to check which part is bad?

Any help is appreciated!

(to take the front bumper off, is it just the 4 bolts on the frame horns?)

Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Two issues, bad caliper, starting to stick along with possible bad pads and a really loose front end that can be caused by warn suspension bushings, tie rod ends, warn/loose hub bearings, and the list goes on.
How mechanical are you?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Mudding

Pretty mechanical I'd like to think, I rebuilt my BMW from a wreck.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A lot to talk about, send me your number and I'll call you and walk you thru what to do.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will agree with the caliper starting to stick, at least thats where I would start looking first for your brake problem. As far as your death wobble I would jack one side of the front end up and really man handle the tire around (side to side up and down) and see if you can see or feel any movement and then do the same on the other side.

Yes its just 4 bolts that hold the bumper on plus you headlight washer hose.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have not resolved my issue,unfortunately I cant have the truck disabled until thanksgiving so I have learned how to live with it until then and hope it makes it, I had similar issues but I found it wasn't pulling under braking but it was self steering in the ruts at intersections, the ruts are where I brake so that's what I thought at first, but upon a few weeks of carefully watching when it happens I noticed it only happened at stop lights with heavy tire ruts. I attribute the loose steering, self steering, and death wobble to a combination of swivel pin pre-load being too light and worn bushings due to a PS leak, at least that's what makes sense to me. I have found that if I slightly turn the wheel a bit and hit bumps at an angle it doesn't go into a full death wobble (I am guessing that while driving straight there is a weak spot on the damper and while slightly turning the damper absorbs it, but who knows), cant miss them all but I know where most of the bumps are on my daily drive so it helps, well that and absolute minimal driving until it is fixed!

just my 2 cents!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Mudding

Quick update. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the death wobble is caused by my ROTTED steering stabilizer:
0_IMAG0195.jpg?t=1288734289

Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Rock Crawling

the stabilizer looks shot, but wouldn't be the cause of death wobble. a lot of the time it's because of worn out panhard rod bushings. try pushing the car side to side and see what happens.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by llesra
the stabilizer looks shot, but wouldn't be the cause of death wobble. a lot of the time it's because of worn out panhard rod bushings. try pushing the car side to side and see what happens.
What will that prove? Just push against the driver's door or something?

Also, should I Be looking at left or right caliper?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling

push somewhere around the front like the bumper. you'll hear clunking at the panhard rod if its worn out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulls to the right under braking. And death wobble!