Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radiator shopping. Got a good source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator shopping. Got a good source?

I'm going to pull mine and have it cleaned and pressure tested but I have a feeling a replacement isn't too far off. I've seen $400-$700 for a replacement, which is crazy talk.
Got a good source?
Also, anyone have any good luck with any coolant system flush or radiator treatments? Or should I go straight to a shop with it?
Thanks

Last edited by ToddD; 06-13-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddD
I'm going to pull mine and have it cleaned and pressure tested but I have a feeling a replacement isn't too far off. I've seen $400-$700 for a replacement, which is crazy talk.
Got a good source?
Also, anyone have any good luck with any coolant system flush or radiator treatments? Or should I go straight to a shop with it?
Thanks
I went through the same buy a couple months ago - what I discovered is that replacement rads were horribly expensive and when you find one that looks to be a good deal it is likely made with inferior materials to the original (i.e. copper is not in the new ones). Things are alot more expensive in Canada and I ended up with the choice between a re-core and a cheap replacement from AB for about the same price (around $500) and chose to get my re-cored - figured it would be done right with good materials and if it crapped out I would have someone local to come hunting ... food for thought.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is at the shop now for preventative maintenance. For a flush it's $30, it it needs to be rodded it's $130 at the local shop in NJ.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make sure you don't buy from BP of Utah. I bought one and had the same problem this guy had. Look at this thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/of...ts-utah-45728/
The one I got leaked after 10 days of use. The second one was broken when it arrived. The third one was also broken when it arrived. Oh and that guy makes you pay $50.00 to ship it to you, then when you tell him it is broken, you have to pay another $50.00 to ship it back! One way I can see it being okay to make the customer pay. But if he is selling inferior product and he makes you pay shipping back, thats a joke! He then didn't credit my credit card because he said I took the caps off and kept them. Why would I want a junk plastic cap?? It took a few months to get my credit card to pull the money out of his account and credit me the $550 back. I'm still out $100 for shipping. The last one he had UPS pick up because he said they broke it. I pointed it out to UPS it was shotty product and the agreed with me.
By this time I said screw it and went to the dealer. $800.00 was cost I think.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont find a new one cheaper than $400 - and if you do please let us know where. Having a happy cool runing disco is worth $500 in my book. Look at how many guys spend the money to buy lifts and all the other stuff your truck doesnt NEED. Always spend the money on the things that keep your truck on the road. Otherwise you will soon need a new engine.....

Old 06-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I found that a HD recore was about the same price, or a bit less, as an aftermarket radiator from the usual vendors so I went with a recore.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I would make sure you don't buy from BP of Utah. I bought one and had the same problem this guy had. Look at this thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/of...ts-utah-45728/
The one I got leaked after 10 days of use. The second one was broken when it arrived. The third one was also broken when it arrived. Oh and that guy makes you pay $50.00 to ship it to you, then when you tell him it is broken, you have to pay another $50.00 to ship it back! One way I can see it being okay to make the customer pay. But if he is selling inferior product and he makes you pay shipping back, thats a joke! He then didn't credit my credit card because he said I took the caps off and kept them. Why would I want a junk plastic cap?? It took a few months to get my credit card to pull the money out of his account and credit me the $550 back. I'm still out $100 for shipping. The last one he had UPS pick up because he said they broke it. I pointed it out to UPS it was shotty product and the agreed with me.
By this time I said screw it and went to the dealer. $800.00 was cost I think.
wow...you're on a vendetta.....

if i held on to the rip off artists here that got one over on me I'd be sick.

as for the rad....try and rod it or core it first if it's a candidate. the older D1 rads are expensive but built tough so they can withstand the work on them. the plastic sided D2 rad is a disposable/scrap sale.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
You wont find a new one cheaper than $400 - and if you do please let us know where. Having a happy cool runing disco is worth $500 in my book. Look at how many guys spend the money to buy lifts and all the other stuff your truck doesnt NEED. Always spend the money on the things that keep your truck on the road. Otherwise you will soon need a new engine.....
what jake means is spend your money on what you need first. then spend everything else jackin' it. then borrow some to spend on the things you need again that you didnt know you need.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
what jake means is spend your money on what you need first. then spend everything else jackin' it. then borrow some to spend on the things you need again that you didnt know you need.
I'm glad you understand me

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As Tom mentioned, go for a good H.D. recore, still expensive but a great end result.

Quick Reply: Radiator shopping. Got a good source?