Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removed valve cover and rocker assembley because of ticking discovered clogged rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh OK thanks, I was reluctant about taking the rocker assembly apart but I think I can do it. I guess your right it's probably pretty dirty on the inside of the shaft. If I can get the intake manifold gasket from a local store tomorrow I'm going to attempt to open up the intake and clean the lifters. thx again for the help i'll post pics along the way if anyone want to see.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 AM
Winching

I did some digging in the engine overhaul manual and found how to take the rocker assembles apart and put them back together correctly. Basically says to remove cotter pin washers, springs, rocker arms, and spacers. Then it says to line up the grove on the arm to the grove on the shaft.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rocker assy dismantling.pdf (793.7 KB, 162 views)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Winching

UPDATE
I took intake manifold off to reveal lifters. I took the lifters out and took the clips off the top of the lifter. Then took the push rod seat off of each lifter. Soaked each one in gas and then in oil. But now I'm wondering if I did this right. Or should I have taken them further apart for cleaning? If so how should I take them apart? Thx

Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post pictures of the lifters, push rod tips, rocker shaft and arm tips before reinstalling. There is no sense in cleaning parts that need to be replaced. Otherwise you will be revisiting this process soon lol.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Winching

yeah jslatz your on point on that one. unfortunately i put the intake manifold back on and have put rocker assemblies back on. I did see some lifters that had square wear patterns and some with circular wear patterns, but nothing drastic. But I was cheap and put them back on. I haven't put the valve covers back on so i can post a pic of the clean rocker assemblies but that's about it. Sorry.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Winching

Update put engine back together after cleaning lifters, push rods, and rocker arms. Took it for a test drive and it ran great with no ticking. So I stopped at a friends where I turned the engine off. When the visit was over I turned the car back on and everything was fine. Upon driving off I was accelerating then I took my foot off the accelerator and the engine shut off. Not really sure what happened I'm pretty sure I putting everything back together following directions in rave. So suggestions what be greatly appreciated. So after driving around a while nothing ticked but when idling for a while the tick came back on one side of the engine so results are not great oh well.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Winching

ok so it stopped shutting off as much, I think it might have been air in the fuel rail. So I bleed the fuel rail through the test port. As far as the ticking though I just ran it for I while with the valve cover off. What I discovered was that most of the push rods spin while one or two don't spin. Does this indicate a problem. THX

Old 04-12-2022, 01:30 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mr4x4
ok so it stopped shutting off as much, I think it might have been air in the fuel rail. So I bleed the fuel rail through the test port. As far as the ticking though I just ran it for I while with the valve cover off. What I discovered was that most of the push rods spin while one or two don't spin. Does this indicate a problem. THX
did you ever resolve your issue?