Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replaced battery now the vehicle will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced battery now the vehicle will not start.

Hi all I have a 1999 Disco1, I have had it parked for about a month, went to go start it and there was nothing at all, not even a click. Tried jumping, when I hooked up the external battery, the alarm would go off, but the clicker would not work. Took the old battery out, and
I bought a new Optima battery, installed it later this week. The alarm did not go off, dash lights looked good, turned the key, nada, I could hear the clicking from the "ecu" under the passengers console. At this point no windows work, or door locks with the key fob. Looked on line and saw a immobilizer work around for vehicles without the spider plug. Spliced the two wires together like it shows online, and now the car turns over, but will not catch, like there is no fuel or spark. Any suggestions would help.

Thank you in advance
Ryan

Old 08-30-2014, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

It sounds like your 10AS alarm box has lost sync with the GEMS EFI ECU. As a result, the EFI ECU is thinking the truck is in theft mode and won't energize the fuel injectors. This happened to me this past winter. It was resolved by dropping a matched set of ECU's into the truck and it fired right up. It sounds like you need both the GEMS EFI ECU and the Lucas 10AS Alarm ECU or someone with the capability to resync the two ECU's you currently have.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:05 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the advice. It sure does sound like what you mentioned. One quick question, do you have a picture or description of what those ECU look like? Would the LR dealership next able to sync them?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Hemphill
Thank you for the advice. It sure does sound like what you mentioned. One quick question, do you have a picture or description of what those ECU look like? Would the LR dealership next able to sync them?
Yes they can, or an independent shop with a few of the available aftermarket computers out there.

It might be cheaper(definitely cheaper than the dealer) to get a matching ECU and 10AS alarm box.

ECU is on the inner fender back towards the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle under the hood. It has a black plastic cover over it.

The 10AS alarm box can be found behind your glove box on the inner fender well, green color about 4" x 5".

ECU looks like this once you remove the cover:

97 99 Land Rover Discovery Engine Computer Control Module ECU ECM PCM ERR6738 | eBay

Alarm box looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...item25944e5107

Good luck