Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replacing Bushings in PanHard Rod..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Bushings in PanHard Rod..

As I go thru the bushings on the D1, I'm going to do a little tutorial on each one.. What made it easy and what made it hard..

First of all, I wouldn't wish this job on anyone without a press... I got the 20 ton one from Harbor Freight on sale for $199.00 less 20% so $159.00 Well worth the price based on what you'd pay to have the job done...
Just not gonna happen without one...If you don't have a press. Buy one or take the pieces somewhere to get the bushings pressed out...
You might press out the middle part and then thread a hacksaw thru the hole and saw the outside of the bushings thru in about four places.. Then you could probaby drive the shell out with a hammer and chisel... But Dayem !

Step 1: Remove PanHard Rod.. Not too difficult.. Two 22mm Bolts and nuts.. Probably the easiest part..

Step 2: Clean all the years of gunk off of it.. I used a wire brush Then some WD-40 and a towel.

Step 3: Press out the old bushings.. Easier said than done.. One came out with a big pop and not too much difficulty. The other wouldn't budge..

Step 4: Press out the center and as much of the rubber of the old bushing as you can.. This wasn't too difficult..

Step 5: Take a cold chisel and a big *** hammer and go around the protruding part of the old bushing pushing it towards the center. This breaks the outer part of the bushing somewhat loose as well..

Step 6: Now the remains of the bushing will press out..

Step 7: Clean the holes and apply some grease to lube the new bushing.

Step 8: Press the new bushings into place.. They protrude about 1/32" on either side.. Center it up as best as you can..This went pretty easily with the press..

Step 9: Reinstall PanHard Rod.. Two 22mm Bolts and nuts..

You're done...

I'll remember to take pictures as I do the remainder of the bushings over then next couple of weeks..

On these rubber/steel bushings you could also drill out all the rubber and get the center out.. Then collapse the shell with a hammer and chisel and maybe drive it out with a good hammer that way... But Dayem !

Took me about an hour start to finish.. And, For the record. The old bushings were not bad...

John

Last edited by JPSpen; 10-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

harbor freight also sells that pack of aluminum bearing race press pieces, might have helped with the metal shells...

ive used them to do countless wheel bearings and never had to cut things apart...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum ? I took some real estate off the steel plates that the press came with when I didn't get things quite centered...

I'll look into that though.... Always need more tools... Grunt, Grunt !

John

Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these guys