Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replacing shocks, coil springs too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing shocks, coil springs too?

What's going on all. Im about to take a road trip and decided I would pop on new front brakes and rotors before I left. I've had a bit of squeaking noises when going over bumps that I'm pretty sure are related to dying front shocks (don't think they've been replaced all 130k miles).

I'm wondering though, whether I should be looking at replacing the coil springs as well if need be? Thanks in advance, can't find clear answers for a D1 online.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

If your springs/shocks are original then they're tired and sagging and due for replacement. Now is a good time for a lift if you want one as the lift kit will be the same price or less than stock replacement.

I'm assuming you know that to replace the rotors you'll need to repack/replace the wheel bearings, new lock washers and hub seals.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, how mechanical are you, what do you use your truck for and when was the last major service performed on your truck, might check out the major service list in the sticky at the top of this section.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can replace them if you want, or you can just replace the shocks, all depends on yoru budget.
I still have the original springs on my truck.
I put new shocks on 4 years ago, $120 from AutoZone.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I'm semi mechanical mike, I almost always get help when it comes to suspension or serious engine problems just to be on the safe side. That said, I won't be off reading really at all for the next two.-three years. I'll have this Disco with me in Ann Arbor, so mainly concerned with surviving the winter snow. Don't plan on putting any lift in yet.

I think for now since I don't have much time and would like to save money for my move to Michigan in a few days, I'll just do the shocks as Spike did. As it is, it seems my coils still have decent resistance in that the car doesn't wobble and returns to rest after only a bounce or so if I physically push down on the coil springs.

I'm mainly concerned with just eliminating the slight squeaking or rattling noise (kind of in between.) that results when going over bumps. I'm actually going to check again this morning underneath the car to ensure that that's what's causing the noise though.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator

How many miles on your truck, when was the last major service done, sounds like it might be a good time to get it ready for the winter.
Consider either the Old Man Emu or Iron Man suspension shocks as some that will last you a long long time.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on your truck, when was the last major service done, sounds like it might be a good time to get it ready for the winter.
Consider either the Old Man Emu or Iron Man suspension shocks as some that will last you a long long time.
Why do you keep recommending Iron Man shocks? Not to knock their product but I don't know a single person running them. Why are they so good? I understand OME is "tried and true" but Iron Man is a very new player in the LR suspension game.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Most of the shops in Colorado are going to them and Justin at Lucky 8 is also carrying them because of their 20 plus year background in Aust. before going to the UK and now here.
Go to their site and do a little reading.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

In the front you need to remove the springs to replace the shocks, so it's no extra work to replace springs at the same time, if time is a concern.
In the rear you don't need to but it's quick to replace the springs at the same time.
If you have the money it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the springs at the same time, with the mileage you have.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy

You do not have to remove the spring to replace the front shock. Four shock tower bolts and the bottom shock bolt under the perch and the tower and shock pull straight up through the engine bay. Remove old shock from tower on a bench, install new shock into tower. Lower the whole.assembly back through spring and tighten the bottom bolt. Done.

Quick Reply: Replacing shocks, coil springs too?