Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Seafoam trans tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seafoam trans tune

has anyone here used the seasfoam trans treatment, good? bad? should I only use it right before I do a drain and fill or is it ok to just leave it in there til next service?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have used that product and others (Lucas, etc.) in various cars and trucks. IMHO the benefit from "cleaning" is most likely also achieved by changing to new fluid from old, tired and contaminated fluid. The D1 won't drain out all the tranny fluid on first try because a large quantity is inside the torque converter. So you fill, run a bit, drain, re-fill (now you have 3/4 changed), repeat, now you have 7/8 changed, etc. The value as a pre-drain flush could be there, but might be hard to measure.

Many of these products are located in an easy to get to location in the parts store for the fellows who don't want what is on the other side of the counter. Fluid bandaid is better than nothing, but not approaching level a determined DIY can accomplish.

Have seen improvement with slipping transmission. How long it will last???

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Rock Crawling

ok. Well I just bought my 99 disco from a dealer. It appears that it was abused over the past few years. Other than hearing the tranny shift every now and then I am not experiencing problems. I just want to try and play catch up with past abuse. thought this might be a good idea, but you are saying a simple drain and fill would probably do as much good>? You live in Sav btw? Im up in Atl. Spent like 5 years in statesboro though

Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Drain and fill plus change filter. Write up in the tech sticky area. You'll also want to change lube in transfer case (makes tranny related noise) and the differentials. And the front CV swivels. And grease every U-joint and slip joint you can find on the drive shaft, if no grease fittings change U joints.

I spent 20+ in Atl, back when Indian Trail was dirt from the expressway to Lilburn. I live about 28 miles from GSU. "My" Disco is offspring's college car, which will start this summer.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling

just an update... I did pour half a pint of the trans tune in and it seems to have quieted things down...doing the diffs and tc this weekend

Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You should have drained your tranny, replacing the filter and if the fluid was really dark when draining, I would recommend a second drain and refill to get as much of the old fluid from the system. By the way, I like the Lucas tranny additive much better then the Seafoam. Seafoam work pretty well as an induction cleaner and maybe as a gas additive but if I had my choice it would be Lucas, cause it is made specifically for a tranny and not other treatments.
You might want to look at the sticky posted at the top of this section and find my thread on doing a major service on your truck, and do it all.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Rock Crawling

well when I check the tranny fluid from the dipstick it is a really nice light clear red color, not dark at all. I just didnt know if I could accurately judge it from the dipstick. I am planning on Knocking out the major service list. I am a total noob mechanic though, deepest I have gone was cv axles and master cylinder on my 94 camry.... Looking forward to getting dirty in this thing though. bought a set of rhino ramps to get up under her.