Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Security problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security problem!

My 1997 discovery 1 won't let me turn the key in my ignition. There's a loos red LED light below my dash right above the steering wheel that on and I can't figure out why. Can anyone help me I'm stuck?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Is that the same LED that should be in the dash, and showing status of alarm?

From the RAVE shop manual:

Theft Alarm LED
 Slow Flash: Immobilised or immobilised and armed
 Rapid Flash: Volumetrically armed
 Intermittent Rapid Flash: Perimetrically armed
 No Flash for 10 Seconds: Mislock
 Continuous: Driver’s door open (or ignition on)
and immobilised
NOTE: The Theft Alarm LED may also be used to
indicate other conditions.

You may be able to clear it by locking and unlocking driver door several times.

Alos:

Central Locking is controlled by the Theft Alarm Unit
(Z163) and may be locked by using the driver’s door
key, sill button(s) or handset. The vehicle may be
unlocked by using the handset or EKA code.

The EKA code may be 1515 (factory default). It works for a D2.

Whole manual is a free download below. Page 334 of the electrical manual of the 1997 shows that the theft system controls the ground lead for the column switch, so I guess that could be involved.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply. It may have fallen out of the dash, when I open any door the light comes on and stays on for about a minute. Problem is none of my locks are working including the doors and ignition. They seem to all be immobilized. Looks like I might have to replace all the locks?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The light stays on for about a minute? That sounds more like the courtesy light for the ignition cylinder (the ring around the cylinder lights up to help you get the key in to the ignition).

Sounds like you have an alarm issue. Did you try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it with the alarm switch under the hood disconnected or depressed? If you connect the battery with the switch up it will think the truck is being stolen and go into lockdown. One of the relays in the alarm unit may be stuck, try giving it a smack.

Do you have the fob for this truck or just a key? If just a key the micro switch in the drivers door lock may have failed and won't disarm the alarm when you unlock the door.

Where are you located? Perhaps you can find an ECU with a matted AS10 unit and fob to try in the truck. Does this truck have advanced evap or non AEL? The ECU from an AEL truck will probably work in a NON AEL truck(I ran one for the last 3 years or so) but the NON AEL ECU will throw codes in an AEL truck.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 12-09-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 PM
8th Gear

Well that narrows down the red light then. Ill try the battery and alarm suppression right now. I'm in Southern California Orange County and I only have the key and no fob. I'm not sure what a micro switch is but I wanna say that's part of the problem cause the key wont budge any of the doors which really narrows down how I'm gonna disarm the alarm.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Rock Crawling

I think I would lean towards popping in a mated ECU and alarm unit with a fob, this way you will know within about 20 minutes where you stand without pulling any more of your hair out.

Is this truck an early 97 without AEL or a late 97 with AEL? If the charcoal canister is round it is NON AEL, if a rectangular box it has Advanced Evap Loss (AEL).

I have a proven set with a fob sitting on the front seat of my truck if you can't find a set to swap in.

Check every fuse in the truck. Then try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it with the hood switch depressed. If that fails dig out the wiring diagram and try to verify the microswitch function in the door lock, you can get to the wiring harness at the drivers footwell kick panel.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 12-10-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 PM
8th Gear

Well I was able to make the ignition unlock by wiggling the key around, doors are still a mystery. I'm not sure about that ECU and AEL stuff I don't really know what that is. Ill keep you posted

Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Rock Crawling

So are you able to start the truck? If you can you probably have a door lock issue and no security problem. Sounds like you also have an ignition switch problem.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
8th Gear
Smile

ya thanks for the help.i did get it started though i think it can all be solved with a new key and ill keep you updated. also I'm having trouble with my dash lights I've tried tracking the wire,fuses and all that fun stuff but no luck. can anyone help me with that.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Dash lights not working can be associated with the dirty/corroded contacts on your headlight stalk(left side stalk switch).

Also, check your tail lights when your headlights are on, they might be out as well.

Quick Reply: Security problem!