Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:59 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensors

My ECT , IAT sensors are showing - 40℉ but shows good resistance on a ohms test.
The TPS shows wide open throttle on scan tool .

I'm just starting out on working on this green beast . Nice to see there is so many enthusiasts out there .

Old 08-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Those two sensors are showing a default value. Check wiring, connectors at sensors through the ECM connectors and pins. Dielectric grease em and see if that changes the value. The TPS would show a change in resistance (disconnected) when rotated and it should be smooth. If it's choppy (just off idle or near cruise at 2k mark) replace it. WOT means it isn't touching much copper - dead spot....... will default to 1750 rpm once dead.

A link to the service manual called the "Rave" is in the "tech section", download it. It makes life much easier dealing with a moody child.

There are allot less of us "enthusiasts" than ever before. The D1 is going the way of the Dodo, most are nearing 20 years old. The time to find one in good condition with decent mileage at a good price is getting critical cuz they'll likely start to increase in value within the next few years as does everything old.

Once these trucks are sorted out they remain rather trustworthy so keep that in mind. They're easy to work on and do have one heck of a smooth **** ride for a straight axle setup.

If you need parts ask us where to get em from.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:41 PM
8th Gear

So I poked around today , and decided to pull the ecu located next to the wiper fluid reservoir . I opened it up and I spotted the problem right away . There is a brake in one of the copper strips on the circuit board.

I just fixed the board my self with a nice little kit I picked up at Radio shack .They even had tin copper bus wire !

I'm hoping this solves the problem on my rover , and that I can go do a bit of climbing with it .

I did go and check my connections and wires before I pulled the ecu just to make sure there wasn't a short in the wires somewhere.

Yea I have always been more interested in older vehicles so I can work on them my self and not to were you have to always take it in. I. Got my rover for a really good deal, so I can afford to make it really nice before I loos any money on it .

I'm going to go put the ecu I fixed back in and I will let you know how it goes .

Old 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm a Radio Shack visitor myself, was so before I owned my first car. I've been looking for another Rover to replace mine, I've worn it out. I've found a few D1's near but I'd end up doing all the same repairs as before, kinda boring. I really want a 1999 - 02 P38 but finding one that's been cared for close by hasn't materialized yet.

Post your findings, hope that's the problem and you solved it.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:58 PM
8th Gear

Just plugged my ecu in after I broke my hood latch . At first it showed -40℉ on (ect) sensor and 73℉ on (iat) and the (Tps) still at 100% open .

I pulled the negative terminal off to check some connections . So when I had power to it again and check if anything changed . Now both sensors sensors are showing -40℉ again . I opened the ecu again and all seems good and no smell of anything burning .

IL have my fun with fixing this one up and drive it until I get board and get one model up from what I have .

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Camel Trophy

-40*F will make the A/F mixture very rich, your gonna burn some fuel. Does the motor run and have you driven it? You might need another ECM. Do you have a bone yard nearby where they have Disco's you can pull from?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:05 PM
8th Gear

Before this it started up just fine and I drove it but not far . Now if I start it up it backfires and dies right away so I don't start it unless I think I made a breakthrough .

Funny you mentioned a boneyard . I helped a guy out a wile back so a couple days ago he told me of a friend that owns a boneyard , and he has a couple of land rovers to pick from .

Do I have to get the replacement ecu reprogrammed or should it work just fine if the part numbers much up .

Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Works out of the box, I don't know what year yours is but grab the alarm box too. Sometimes ECM's can be swapped without the alarm and sometimes not. Grab it and you'll not have to make two trips. It's always a good idea to have spares around. Grab as much as you can afford to. Starter, alternator, ignition switch, lights.......... common parts that can leave you stranded.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:08 PM
8th Gear

It is a 96 , and thanks for the info on the alarm box . I think before I replace it I'm going to go back over all my ground points on the vehicle and mabey stop by Oreilys to pick up a new Ect sensor to rule out that the sensor I have is not the problem .

I have to say that I find it interesting to work on this rover . It always have new tricks up it's pipes . Butt I'm sure after I work on this IL be good on the electrical side of things .

I I might just buy the complete rover , and strip off what I need and sell the shell back to them ... saves me from trying to bargen for every part I find of value to me .

_