Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

shopping for a D1

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I second that. Easy to work on. You can download the factory manual on the internet. ?The parts aren't exactly cheap, but they ARE available and that's huge. Nice thing about most US Discos is they worked the worst bugs out before they came stateside.

Once you get past the deferred maintenance items, you'll probably have a lot of reliability. Mine has been running trouble-free for a couple years. Nothing major (oh jeez, I just jinxed myself!!)

Old 10-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck fellow carolinian

Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So.... didn't work out Still looking would love any leads from here. I am not partial to the D1 it could be a DII or an older Series model. My budget is 5K (to include shipping if it is far away - I am in Colorado Springs).
All the advice here has been great!! I hope to join the ranks of Rover owners soon - not desperate but would like to have one in the next few months.

Cheers!!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how close it is but someone posted a link to this one on another forum. It looks clean.
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4701889273.html

Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

That looks like it's about as clean as you can one of it's age. Worth it to pay a premium for a Disco where an owner has well maintained, and, in all appearances seems to be the type to have performed routine maintenance and made the needed repairs as they came up. If you paid a grand or $1,500 more up front, well... you could easily spend double that paying a shop to make repairs to a poorly maintained vehicle.

But then again, don't for even a minute think that you are buying a trouble-free vehicle that won't need repairs and maintenance down the road. It's likely to need new head gaskets within 10k-30k miles, probably needs new plug wires and all the basic things right away. Tranny fluid change (means removing the trans cross member to do it right), expect the water pump to start leaking, fan clutch, O2 sensors in the next 0-20k mi, maybe some front axle leaks that need to be re-sealed, rear main leak... No matter what you end up buying it's probably going to need these things anyway. So at least here you have a good foundation. Fundamentally, it could well be a great vehicle for you once you get past the normal things.

Last edited by Mark G; 10-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling

So, I think I found one... going to have it inspected tomorrow here is the link: 2002 Land Rover Discovery II SD Any comments or thoughts? There are a couple minor issues:
1. ABS sensor on one of the front wheels needs to be replaced
2. Headliner is starting to sag
3. Belt is loose
The test drive went well and it runs good. All electrics are working and no engine fault light. He is willing to take 3000.00 It is high milage though (150K), he has had the vehicle for 10+ yrs and done all the maint. I like the vehicle and overall it is in good shape.
Any words from wise?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very little information available in that add. But it looks about on par for a truck that age. If it running well 3,000 is not a bad price. However, i would keep 1-2k in the piggy bank for unexpected maintenance.

Abs issues and sagging head liners are common issues. You might need to get an ABS Amigo or take it to a shop with a test book to pull the abs code. Normal ODBII scanners won't pull them.

The one item that would concern me is the lose belt. These trucks have auto tentioners, so the belt should not be lose. But if you're taking it to a shop that knows rovers they should be able to identify that.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks... it looks / sounds like the previous owner looked after all the maint as needed. All plugs, wires, water pump and battery are new. He has the records and has been very good about the fluid changes. I will let you guys know how the mechanical check goes... heres wishing me luck
Thanks for the advice and help

Old 10-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Mark G., Buddy Lee, do you two know how depressing you sound? If I was in the market for a D1 I'd be looking at something long ago now.

I paid in November 2008 $1800 for my Disco. It had 98k on the clock and needed some mechanical TLC but overall was just this side short of very good condition. In the six years I've owned it I've never spent more than $400 on anything....ever! I've put in overall about what the initial price was over six years in maintaining it, many of the parts are original still. The fuel has cost more than the parts. I have over 180k on it, almost 100k in just my ownership and we have very brutal winters here. I drive my truck daily....... and if a switch doesn't work like volume up why do I care? It has no effect on the safe operation of the vehicle. Seats work, windows work, lights come on, wipers work and the transfer works high/low and I can shift the gears. It stops like a Disco, they all stop like a bus. I replaced calipers with used that if you get to know the dismantlers on these forums you'd know you get the best parts available at less than a third of the cost! I even bought a used OEM water pump that's still pumping coolant, no bearing wobble after at least 50k.

So come on, enough already. Owning anything is all what you make of it. If your not afraid of getting grease under your finger nails the price of Rover admission is dirt cheap. The thrill of taking one off road with your buddies is......or getting somewhere in 19" of wet snow......priceless.

So enough with creating perfection, it's unobtainium. You either buy what you like and maintain it to your own level of satisfaction or you let somebody else maintain it for you. Bottom line, a Rover is a Rover. Your either informed or misinformed and only time will tell if your up to owning one period!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling

All good advice... I feel for the local market (because that plays a role) the price is good. I want to ensure I am not buying something I was not expecting (ie hidden mech issues), that is why the mechanic. I am looking for a good every day driver that I can work on AND take on the trail. I think the Rover fills this role However the experience here will help me make a good / informed decision.
I have got what I wanted to this point ...

Quick Reply: shopping for a D1