Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Solenoid Question

Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Solenoid Question

So for those who saw my thread a few days ago regarding my diff I have a question. I have everything working like butter right now but I have the shiftlock solenoid removed. I read everything in the RAVE about it (which ain't much). Jafir posted this from the RAVE (which I couldn't find in the RAVE BTW)

A shiftlock device is fitted in some territories, it is used
as a park facility and prevents accidental gear
disengagement when the ignition is switched off.

I am not much of an electronics man. From Physics class (a few years ago) I have a general idea of the different ways that solenoids work (solenoid is kind of field or use specific and don't always mean the same thing) but I don't guess I get this one. It is there simply to keep the diff from accidentally shifting out of gear while parked and turned off? How exactly does it work and is it really necessary? If it was a kind of useless item that LR tried out and then abandoned (based on the quote "fitted in some territories") I will just make a plate to go over the place I removed it from and seal it up and not worry about it. I guess I am looking for some more in depth knowledge of this particular solenoid and its use.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In some 'territories' the law requires certain safety features. Keeping the vehicle from shifting out of gear on an automatic is one of those requirements. You can just make a plate and block it off. Only thing you will have to worry about is if someone knocks it into neutral when parked. The vehicle could roll.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

And it's on the transmission, not the diff.
Look in the 1997 Export ETM manual. Its description begins on page C1, Ignition and Shift Interlock.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Winching

I am looking at pg 418 of the RAVE. It shows to be on the "Transfer Gearbox: Shiftlock Solenoid/Neutral Switch". I don't have the manual you refer to. Have a download link? That might have a better description. Thanks Chris-Bob. That's what I figured but when I am not 100% sure I like to dive into further before making a decision. I very seldom make a decision that is not calculated. Part of my nature and my job tends to reinforce that. Thanks again guys.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I am looking at pg 418 of the RAVE. It shows to be on the "Transfer Gearbox: Shiftlock Solenoid/Neutral Switch". I don't have the manual you refer to. Have a download link? That might have a better description. Thanks Chris-Bob. That's what I figured but when I am not 100% sure I like to dive into further before making a decision. I very seldom make a decision that is not calculated. Part of my nature and my job tends to reinforce that. Thanks again guys.
The 'transfer gearbox' is the transmission.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Actually Transfer Gearbox is not the transmission. It's the transfer..ummm....gearbox. The thing bolted on the back of the transmission.

Here are the RAVE manuals I use when I want the electronic, vs hard copy, version.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...-images-42972/

Last edited by antichrist; 08-13-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are confused cause there are 2 solenoids, 1 in the gear selector preventing you from shifting out of park unless the brake is depressed, and 1 in the transfer case prventing shifting between high and low unless the transmission is in neutral.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
So for those who saw my thread a few days ago regarding my diff I have a question. I have everything working like butter right now but I have the shiftlock solenoid removed. I read everything in the RAVE about it (which ain't much). Jafir posted this from the RAVE (which I couldn't find in the RAVE BTW)

A shiftlock device is fitted in some territories, it is used
as a park facility and prevents accidental gear
disengagement when the ignition is switched off.
Not that it matters, because it looks like everyone has already responded, but it's on "pdf" page 408, in the "Description and Operation" section of the "41 - Transfer Gearbox" chapter.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a spring inside the transfer case that holds the shifter in place.
The t-case lock out solenoid is to prevent you from shifting into lo range while doing 80mph and exploding stuff.

Have you ever tried to shift your t-case into neutral while the trans is in park? Close to impossible.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Winching

Tweak, exactly. I am referring to the one in the transfer case that prevents shifting between hi/low. I was aware of the other one. Just found out about this one when I tore into this the other day. Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I have a good handle on it now. I already have a nice thick steel plate and some grey RTV to make a gasket with. I am gonna seal it off so that I don't have to spend money on it and no future problems. Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solenoid Question