Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

special tools needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
I bought some E sockets (shaped like female torx) at Harbor Freight yesterday thinking that's what the valve cover bolts and Manifold bolts were, and when they didn't fit I discovered in the archives that I need an 8mm 12 pt socket for the valve covers and perhaps a 12mm 12 pt for the manifolds? (my 1/2" 12 pt seemed a bit loose) So... are there any E headed fasteners on this truck? If not, the Es go back next time I am in town.
The passenger airbag are secured with E bolts as is the plate under the steering column. The SRS ECU uses E bolts too. On a DII I think the lower steering linkage uses E bolts. If you already own the set I can't see why you wouldn't want to hold on to them just in case. There's nothing worse than not having the right tool when you need it. Oh, wait, I guess it could be worse if you knew you'd owned the right tool but returned it because you didn't think you'd have a need for it.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

on the DII there are a lot of pozidrive screws. If the DI is the same, I would get a set of pozidrive screwdrivers.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default E sockets and pozidrive

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
The passenger airbag are secured with E bolts as is the plate under the steering column. The SRS ECU uses E bolts too. On a DII I think the lower steering linkage uses E bolts. If you already own the set I can't see why you wouldn't want to hold on to them just in case. There's nothing worse than not having the right tool when you need it. Oh, wait, I guess it could be worse if you knew you'd owned the right tool but returned it because you didn't think you'd have a need for it.
Originally Posted by acamato
on the DII there are a lot of pozidrive screws. If the DI is the same, I would get a set of pozidrive screwdrivers.
Now that is funny, Paul. My biggest frustration is knowing I have the right tool and not being able to find it...or....trying to remember where I laid a tool down when I got distracted by another job, and another, and another until it is hard to re-trace my steps.

OK, do you know what size Es a fellow should keep? I bought three sets from E4 to E10 deep, E10 to E18 deep, and a box set with E10, 12, 14, & 16 plus a bunch of T drivers and a little 3/8 ratchet - might keep that one if the E sizes are right.

Pozidrive - the one that looks like a phillips but isn't quite? I have one of the common size (#2?) with a wooden handle, but tend to use it interchangibly with phillips.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 AM
TReK

I believe the size is E10 for the airbag, ecu and panel beneath the steering column. I would keep the set that goes from E10-E16 with the t drivers. If you ever have to do anything with the sunroof shade assembly or sunroof rails you'll be happy you have some smaller torx tools.

I sympathize with you about trying to find your tools. At any given moment I may be taking apart 5 or 6 Rovers. I can't tell you how many times a day I'm looking from one truck to the next for a socket or a wrench or some other tool that I was using when the phone rang or my damn smart phone chimed a new email causing me to drop everything. In an effort to keep some degree of sanity I have multiples of many of the more common tools I use but that doesn't mean I don't go looking for one only to find three or four squirreled away in one truck!

On the pozidrive question, I've never really found the need for them. The only real time I thought one would help was on the removal of the poziscrew that keeps the rotors on the hubs and the drum on the e brake assembly. I have an impact with a #4 screwdriver head that usually takes care of those screws when they're stuck.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 AM
TReK

I was trying to remember what other E sockets I use and it was the E12 on the DII seats. I think the E10 is all you need on a DI.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I believe the size is E10 for the airbag, ecu and panel beneath the steering column. I would keep the set that goes from E10-E16 with the t drivers. If you ever have to do anything with the sunroof shade assembly or sunroof rails you'll be happy you have some smaller torx tools...
OK, the box set stays. I have other T drivers, but these will all be in one place.

I used my new 12 pt socket to torque the rocker cover bolts to 80 inch pounds; all but one were quite loose. Unfortunately the left rear inside bolt does not tighten (or even back out for that matter) - of course it would be the hardest to reach that gets stripped. Maybe tightening the others will slow the hot oil bath and somewhat abate that wonderful British driving smell.

Next the trans transfusion.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by philwarner
... the left rear inside bolt does not tighten (or even back out for that matter)
False alarm; I just didn't have the socket all the way on it because of the wires that run right over it and the throttle linkage stuff above it. Finally got the socket right against the valve cover and the extension parallel to it and it went on. Getting the socket back was another story, but it is set to the right torque now.

I don't think a 3/8 drive socket would ever fit on that bolt; 1/4" was hard enough.