Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering box rebuildable?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering box rebuildable?

One the remaining extremely annoying problems with my D1 is the vague steering. I have replaced just about everything on the front end (springs, shocks, bushings, steering rods/ends, swivel pins, new tires....)

I even replaced the steering box; but it was a salvage part that was supposedly in good condition.

Both of my steering boxes have a few degrees of play on the input shaft. I have adjusted the torx nut, but all that does is tighten the feed back and really does not take up the play.

I have seen some "rebuild" kits for them, but they all appear to be just seal replacements. My thoughts are that I can rebuild my spare.

Is there a way, or is it worth rebuilding the steering box?

I have also heard both positive and negative things about refurbished units. I dont think I can get over the sticker shock of a new one.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I've heard mostly good things about Meridian in San Diego. Their rebuild is around $300 but you must send them a core. I think any of the inexpensive rebuild kits you can by from the usual suspects are only temporary. The problem of leaky seals tends to come from a wobbly shaft that, over time, ruins the seals.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I think any of the inexpensive rebuild kits you can by from the usual suspects are only temporary. The problem of leaky seals tends to come from a wobbly shaft that, over time, ruins the seals.
That's part of my question... what is the root cause of the wobbly shaft and is Meridian and other rebuilding solving that problem?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Subscribed. In the middle of rebuilding my box but I need a special tool to open anything, I'm considering a rebuilt kit

Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 PM
TReK

From what I understand, the Meridian rebuild does address the problem at the core of these boxes. I have never had them do one for me but have heard from numerous people that they were satisfied with the results. By the same token, as is always the case, there are a few who claim that the Meridian rebuild didn't resolve their issues.

What causes the movement, over time, of the center shaft? Look at anything on your Rover and I'm sure you can see ways it could have been either engineered better or build using superior material. You have to remember, these trucks, like anything made for consumers, is built to a price point and sacrifices are made.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant

What causes the movement, over time, of the center shaft? Look at anything on your Rover and I'm sure you can see ways it could have been either engineered better or build using superior material. You have to remember, these trucks, like anything made for consumers, is built to a price point and sacrifices are made.
Not sure the relevance of this paragraph, as if to validate and excuse for Land Rover... But since the conversation went there, a steering box is a vital safety component and this is a chronic issue Land Rover allowed to continue for many years. If they wanted to cut costs, I can see going with cheaper methods for alternators, water pumps, and steering pumps (which they did), but they should have really focused on getting the steering and brakes right.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Anyway, Meridian warrants more investigation. I can deal with a little leaking from the steering box... After all, everything else leaks. The play in the input shaft suggests worn hard parts and a set of oil seals aren't going to fix that.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:30 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
Not sure the relevance of this paragraph, as if to validate and excuse for Land Rover... But since the conversation went there, a steering box is a vital safety component and this is a chronic issue Land Rover allowed to continue for many years. If they wanted to cut costs, I can see going with cheaper methods for alternators, water pumps, and steering pumps (which they did), but they should have really focused on getting the steering and brakes right.
DI's are anywhere between 15 and 21 years old. Things wear, some more than others, over time and use. I've had 25 year old Range Rovers with leaky steering gear boxes, the leak most likely brought on by wear in the main shaft. Was the wear or the leak caused by it a "safety" issue? In all my years of Rover ownership (going on 23 years), through all the years on these boards, I can't recall where someone's life was put in jeopardy because of a steering gear box. There are plenty of other issues endemic to Rover and to car manufacturers in general that incorporate higher levels of risk and concern for safety.

I remember the British show Fifth Gear where a Discovery was driven, head on, into an oncoming Renault Espace. The damage was horrible and was only compounded by the fact the Land Rover airbag failed to deploy. How many of us blithely drive our vehicles with the SRS light flashing or steady on, with full knowledge that an important safety feature installed in our truck is guaranteed to fail? I guess part of the freedom we enjoy in this country includes our willingness to heighten the risk of personal injury over maintaining our vehicles to the letter.

The bottom line to all of this is EVERY automobile manufacturer makes choices based on economics (look at GM's recent excuses for not recalling vehicles with inherent safety issues) and Land a Rover is not some outlier. Most vehicles have long been consigned to the scrap pile while you're driving a vehicle closing in on 20 years of age. And what, you're concerned about the expense of a rebuild or a new part. The rebuild from Meridian will likely outlive numerous other parts (Nevermind the body) on a typical DI. A new gear box could probably be resold AFTER parts of the truck have turned dust.

The unfortunate thing about Land Rovers is that, these relatively expensive (when new) British trucks (often subjected to especially hard lives) can be bought for a fraction of their original cost. This tends to falsely lead people into the expectation that maintenance and repair will be cheap as well. Herein lies the problem. The trucks depreciate, parts and labor don't. The cost of running a DI as a daily driver is not going to be cheaper than when it was new, especially if your are behind the curve in upkeep. Any expectation of this not being the case is, simply, unrealistic.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Thank you for that brilliant dissertation, and for taking the time to post it, you've always been a sage voice and your opinion is appreciated.

I put a used gearbox in my 98 in April, and another one in June, and now it doesn't leak, the steering is fine, and I know how to replace a Disco steering box should the need arise.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've rebuilt steering boxes before (not L/R though). I don't know what a kit goes for for these, but when you figure the cost of the parts and the amount of time it takes (and if you don't have an inch lbs torque wrench, you'll need a good one). You'll have a lot more than $300 in time invested into rebuilding the steering box. I always feel it's a lot better use of yer time to just buy a rebuilt unit. That's assuming the outfit is performing competent work. But if you are generally curious, have the time, a good collection of tools and patience, it's not particularly difficult and it's kind of fun.

Last edited by Mark G; 10-07-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering box rebuildable?