Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering box screw up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Steering box screw up

Rather than consult the rave, I presumed I knew everything and loosened the selector shaft (I think: the bolt in the center with the nut on it) thinking it was a bleeder. Of course it isn't.

Now when I try to tighten the nut back on, there are way more threads sticking up than there were before. I tested the steering and it's very very loose before it starts to turn the wheels (it's up on jack stands).

So how on earth do I fix this? How do I get that center screw down?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Mudding

Oh and while I'm waiting I'm doing searches and mine does not have a slotted spot for a screwdriver like others do.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Mudding

Oh Hi AbnMike, if you will put your eyes just right out of the sun, since you're working in the driveway, you'll see that there is some RTV pressed into that hole for whatever reason, probably just dropped there then wiped off, but not out. Yeah, so if you could clean that out you'll see it's a 6 mm allen head. Adjust that in or out as you hold the nut with a 19mm wrench, then hold the allen while you tighten up the nut.

That'll do you for sure.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Mudding

However, when that center adjustment screw came up (not all the way out) some gear oil leaked out. Is there a way to replace that or does it come sealed?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AbnMike
However, when that center adjustment screw came up (not all the way out) some gear oil leaked out. Is there a way to replace that or does it come sealed?
that's your power steering fluid...which happens to be ATF on a Discovery 1.....just checkit in the P/S reservoir

Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Mudding

Really? Because it was brownish and thicker and I could have sworn it looked like used gear oil.

The reservoir was red. The bleeder screw (once I found it) was red. What came out of that adjusting screw hole seemed different

Old 05-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The box was probably pre-lubed, but there's no need for a separate lubricant in there besides the hydraulic fluid that comes from the power steering fluid reservoir via the power steering pump. ATF is recommended.

If I recall correctly, it's normal procedure to prime/bleed the box by releasing a little fluid via the bleeder, which is what I think you were attempting.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

You will need to adjust the sector shaft of the steering box to get rid of the slop, put the axle on stands and loosen the locknut. With the right size allen key screw it in til tight and then turn the wheel side to side to check the re-load.
Once you have it right back the screw off 1/4 turn and holding the allen key tight do the locknut up tight and check the steering again.

The following users liked this post:
AbnMike (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Mudding

Ok so I am back on the road and I have felt a bit of the "death wobble" twice now, and never felt it before, so apparently I don't have the nut/bolt combo adjusted correctly.

Should I make it more tight? Or more loose? The steering feels proper as it sits (no slop in the steering wheel). I heard if I have it too tight then it could affect returning to center off a turn.

So do I tighten the center screw all the way down then back it out? How do I "feel" when it is right? I touched nothing else so I know that wobble is because this isn't set correctly.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Seems worse than a simple steering ****le, have you consulted the manual for proper procedure to adjust the box?

Quick Reply: Steering box screw up