Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Subwoofer Input

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Subwoofer Input

The previous owner had installed a Pioneer head unit which I hope to remove and inspect this weekend - primarily because they never hooked up a light dimmer wire. But I'm wondering, what kind of input was used for the subs, i'e' low-level or ...? Just exploring possibilities of using the rear amp and/ or speakers with this unit. Just a little research while I'm here at work... Russ

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I will try to help you with this. I have a lot of experience with Pioneer and hooking up. I do need to know what Pioneer unit you have, what OEM stereo components are in your vehicle, i.e. amp, steering wheel controls, any aftermarket amps, subs, etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you want to hook the stock subs to the pioneer stereo and want to know if the subs use a separate amp with a low powered signal or if the stock stereo system powered the the subs?

I can tell ya that my aftermarket deck is wired into my stock subs and the RCA's aren't being used. They aren't very loud though. The guy that wired it up appears to be an idiot because I had to rewire some of it. Not sure how he wired the subs.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

On mine, I am using the stock amp and stock subs in rear door, and added a 10" Pioneer enclosure with a separate mono bloc amp to drive it. Realizing that the stock 6.5's are more of a mid to bass and not a real sub. The end product sounds very nice with pretty much the whole sound spectrum being covered.
Granted mine is on an 03 Disco 2, and the reason I was asking what your system consists of.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Kenwood Excelon deck and a $45 BOSS monoblock amp driving these:

Amazon.com : Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofers (Pair) : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofers (Pair) : Car Electronics

It sounds fantastic for what it is. Very impressed with the baby subs. Next will be some new speakers, only the passenger rear crackles under high volume, so I'm still waiting for one to completely crap out first.

The following users liked this post:
green-lantern (10-09-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MM3846
I have a Kenwood Excelon deck and a $45 BOSS monoblock amp driving these:

Amazon.com : Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofers (Pair) : Car Electronics

It sounds fantastic for what it is. Very impressed with the baby subs. Next will be some new speakers, only the passenger rear crackles under high volume, so I'm still waiting for one to completely crap out first.
I also use that amp driving a shallow 10" Pioneer enclosure.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

In the stock setup, there is a line level signal carried to the rear amp for the subs.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Mudding

I've been busy the last few days with laying sod at my house and haven't been back to the forum - but thanks everyone for your input. I started at the back to make sure the subs were even there and functional - everything looks great! Looking at schematics, it appears that the head unit originally used shielded wires to the amp up front and possibly mixing there also. Maybe I better look up there and see how adaptable it is to work off of that amp.
The head unit in my Rover is a Pioneer DEH-435, which appears to be a European model - very limited info on it (that I've found) - I'm attempting to pull it out today to see how they have it wired. Hopefully they haven't hacked the original harness. Russ

Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't help you about the subs amp, but have you considered going back to the stock radio? If you get the highest spec Land Rover unit from a 98 or 99 (wasn't it an Alpine unit?) and CD changer (if you don't already have one), I think my 98's stock stereo sounds pretty decent. My wife and daughter think it kicks butt pretty well for a stock unit. But if you want a top shelf system, yeah, you'll probably have to change everything. Then you're going to need to look at the stock speakers' efficiency and balance with the stereo.

Back to the subs, have you checked them out? Might want to remove the cover and check the condition. The foam often cracks around the perimeter. They are a funny size, so I re-foamed mine 3-4 years ago for about $15 for all. Remove them and put on new foam surrounds.

Last edited by Mark G; 10-08-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Mudding

I would love a factory head unit! Unfortunately, I will need a windshield and tires before I can put funds into that part of the project Unless someone has a killer deal ...

I did pull the factory subs out of the door to verify condition and everything looks exceptional - the previous owner was an older man who only listened to talk radio! I also found the factory amp in place, no signs of a changer. I pulled the Pioneer out and found a decent wiring job - I'll have to fix the crimp connector setup though, I tend to get very picky on wiring - too many years building custom Harleys!

I still need to dig deeper to see how they spliced into the factory harness... Russ

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Input