Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

TerraFirma MD vs HD springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TerraFirma MD vs HD springs

I'm in the process of replacing some suspension components...tie rods, panhard rod, steering damper (all toast) and I went ahead and did all TF stuff. I've not installed it yet, hope to start this weekend. Also have a set of poly bushings to use. For the rear I have a pair of cranked RTE arms and will use the poly bushings.

Anyway, I bought this truck with some unknown suspension set up, looks to be OME shocks, not sure on the springs. Everything else is stock and (likely) original thus the new tie rods and bushings. So, my plan is to go ahead and replace the shocks/springs with something known (I'm funny like that). I'm currently running 265/75/16 tires but look to go to 235/85/16 in the spring. Question ultimately comes to which springs to go with. I'm looking at either Med Duty or Heavy Duty along with their matching shocks. Truck has an ARB front bumper with at least a 9k winch, might be more, I'll have to check. I plan to mount the Hilift jack up there as well.

On any given off road trip I'll be carrying multiple people and/or gear so I expect a fair bit of added weight. I don't drive this truck daily so highway comfort is second to off road capability.

Any reason to not go with the 2" HD springs? I'm assuming the way to go is their package of shocks/springs vs springs with different shocks. I'd consider the Fox stuff but I've not looked at all the pricing yet to know the differences.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I'd go HD springs with your anticipated load. I've never been that impressed with TF shocks though.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'd go HD springs with your anticipated load. I've never been that impressed with TF shocks though.
Dammit, this is supposed to be easy. So if no TF shocks then what...Fox? And in that case are the TF springs still a good option? I don't need best of the best (obviously) but I am always leary of off the shelf kits. I know they're decent but I don't tend to prefer bell curve set ups. In this case maybe that's ok but I'd like to consider the options.

I do not plan to get into lifts such that I need to change prop shafts or front arms.

Further thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Springs are fine, IMO. The biggest thing is to get shocks whose entended and compressed lengths compliment your lift. If possible, install the springs and do some measuring. Then get shock lengths based upon those measurements. Converting to eye-eye shocks opens up a lot more shock options, but not everybody wanta to do that. If I wanted to keep stock configuration I'd probably go with the new Fox factory replacement shocks that RoversNorth sells.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

The nice thing about OME, is the shock and springs are matched. Expensive, but worth it. Just my opinion, mind you.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Camel Trophy

I've got OME springs with the yellow/blue Bilstein shocks on my daily driver and it rides very well. I was pleasantly surprised with how little the back end sagged when fully loaded with camping gear and 5 people.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Not a fan huh? I was thinking about getting these.

Terrafirma Springs And Shocks, All Terrain - Medium Duty

Not trying to hijack the thread OP, hope you don't mind.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by green-lantern
Not a fan huh? I was thinking about getting these.

Terrafirma Springs And Shocks, All Terrain - Medium Duty

Not trying to hijack the thread OP, hope you don't mind.
Not at all, I'm trying to learn as well. I'd done some searching and reading I was sort of getting a consensus that the TF spring/shock set up was a good package (preferred to OME) for a set up similar to mine or at least until one wanted to take another step and spend more on shocks.

I don't mind spending more but given the actual needs I have, I don't know that I need to. Most of what I read seemed to lean towards HD if there was a question of load but I figured more info is always good.

I come from road racing where I learned pretty quickly that off the shelf stuff was great for street cars but not so much for cars I actually wanted to perform better on track. I assume it's a direct comparison to offroad stuff but in my case, the off the shelf may very well suffice, just want to gather info on the options.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Im not a big TF shock fan, but i have never heard anything bad about Fox or Bilstein. Probably the way I will go in the spring when i remove the TF.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Mudding

Hey check it out, almost a full year later and I'm finally getting around to this! My son and I started this work a couple weeks ago but sporadic time availbility has hindered progress. Nonetheless we'll get back at it this weekend. In the process of the leftrear currently. Installed new spring (TF MD) and relocator (TF) as well as new brake hard line. Will also be replacing the rubber hoses with +50mm versions. New rotor, new pads, reman caliper as well. I have the new rear shock (also TF MD) in place but not tightened up yet. I added +50mm bumpstop spacers as well as the +50mm drop TF rear shock mount. The stock mounts on there were in rough shape so they needed replacing anyway. Go big(ish) or go home I guess.

Plan to get the right rear done also (have started) and expect to replace the brake hard line and hose also (as well as all parts). Will also add cranked rear trailing arms and bushings. Next will be front with all new parts, same as rear plus tie rods, damper and relocation kit. 235/85/16 Treadwright tires are mounted on stock wheels and I snagged some 30mm spacers.

I need to do fluids as well then it's time to drive. I have several maintenance items to do but once the suspension/brakes are done I'll be able to drive it again. Can't wait! I'll get some pics as well.

Cheers.