Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Throttle Cable Link to Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle Cable Link to Throttle Body

I don't want this to be too long, but I am attaching a video of how I found my Discovery parked in my carport.

As found:

And condition:

When placed in the carport it was driving fine. I cranked it and allowed it to idle back out into the drive. Put in drive and the pedal was dead as in the first video. Eventually looked under the hood and found the cable in the second video.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I expected to find a bolt of some type on the ground had it slipped out or at least noticed the problem when parking it last when the accelerator stopped working. My concern is whether the vehicle was tampered with or if it is just a case of a random broken thing.

Thank you for your time.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If vehicle was locked, alarm was on and unlikely hood jimmied open. Parts just fell apart from whatever, and your foot on the gas pedal had enough tightness to hold things together until you pulled in the garage. Part could be up the driveway or up the street. Or atop the engine or tranny somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Cable Link to Throttle Body-p1130415.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Locks don't work nor does the alarm. I will assume it just failed.

Not that is adds much, but my boat parked beside it had several cups of sand poured into the gas tank. That is what led to my concern and whether I should waste time giving the brakes a look over.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If vehicle was locked, alarm was on and unlikely hood jimmied open. Parts just fell apart from whatever, and your foot on the gas pedal had enough tightness to hold things together until you pulled in the garage. Part could be up the driveway or up the street.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Ouch. It could escalate. I'd look over the brakes. Locking fuel cap for boat, and fuel water separator filter extenal to engine. Honda fuel pumps as an example don't like gunk.

A pal had problems with ruffians wheeling over his planted trees at the base of the yard. He replaced the stakes with rebar. That tore up their toy, so they raced up his driveway and slammed on brakes inches from his car with his child inside. He picked up a garden rake and speared it through their windshield. They raced off. Police report. A few days later, he arrived home to find the ruffians and their jeep cutting donuts in his yard. He floored his Caprice wagon, 396 4BBL, which t boned the jeep and pushed it into a ravine next to his property. No damage to kids. Until their dad arrived. Dad thought he had collected all the keys to the Jeep from the grounded young men.

The only person to profit from this was the body shop...

Teenagers can be creative, another friend in his youth stole the local police car, and rolled it into a newly constructed masoleum that had 1/2 inch clearance on each side. It got a mention on the Today show.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-15-2013 at 10:34 AM.