Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tps problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Tps problem

ok I was commenting tin the sick disco thread but mine now will not run, I was driving and the vehicle started running like it was running out of fuel, I look at the ug and see the tps % dropped off to .78 this was a few days back and I shut it off restarted about 30 min. and was ok for a few days but idle was high then normal, wandering some , today same thing but it will not correct itself, key on to the floor tps reads 2.38% foot off pedal .78%, tried another tps same readings , tried another ecm same readings, took a meter and I have continuity on all 3 wires to their plug at the ecm, moving the harness changes nothing ( was hoping it was a simple break in harness)

any ideas ???

no codes but the 0451 that is always there

Old 01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

If I start the vehicle it only runs with foot on gas let off gas it dies

Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does pretty much the same thing on moderately cold mornings. Above 50 and below 20 it starts and idles beautifully. But between 20 and 50 it won't idle for the first minute or so after starting and I need to keep my foot on the gas while it sputters and stumbles. It used to hunt and almost stall, now it fires up with a mighty roar and dies right away. But after the first minute and for the rest of the day, even after sitting all day at work, it's fine. Never have been able to figure it out do I just let it warm up for a minute with a light foot on the gas until it gets it's **** together. UG reads normal for all the usual suspects.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure it is not getting a proper tps reading by what the ug is displaying especialy since the tps was displaying 11.8% at idle and 93% with pedal to the floor previously

I am just at a loss here

is there a test procedure in the rave? does the mfu affect this?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yours continues to crap out even once it's warmed up ?? It's miserably cold now, so I don't have a problem. I keep telling myself that the days are getting longer and soon it will be warm, soon it will be warm and then I won't have a problem. It's that awkward in between stage...

I seem to recall that a "good" TPS reading should be somewhere around 9 - 12% at idle, but that's subjective and only based on what I have seen in the forums and on my own, which given it's issues can't be considered a gold standard for anything. I'll watch it closely next time I'm out and let you know. I haven't seen a test procedure in the Rave, but what I did see was something about it being adaptive, so there must be some self calibration involved that would accommodate the absolute reading being off by some percentage. No clue if the MFU is involved, I don't think so, but that's only based on intuition. I thought the MFU controlled interior things like lights, locks, etc, and was not involved in drivability, but never had a MFU problem (yet) so never dug into it.

I assume IAT, CTS, VSS, CPS are all reading ok, no cracks or leaks on the intake boot, etc. Any change for better or for worse if you unplug the MAF ?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, is TPS the throttle position sensor?

If so, how to you get a reading on the UG? I don't recall seeing it.

Also, if it is... I saw a testing procedure somewhere. I will try and dig it up.

Thank you

Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't you get the memo?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Baja

I'm gonna need those on my desk...

Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Baja

Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

But seriously...

Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Ug has it as tp% I believe and yes 9/12% is where it should be

Was staring at the wiring diagram last nite but no real help there

Oh yeah and we are expecting snow

Last edited by TOM R; 01-02-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Tps problem