Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tranny Fluid Cooler - and Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid Cooler - and Fluid Flush

So it appears I am leaking tranny fluid from the union of the fluid line and the cooler itself. (Passenger side, in front of the radiator)

i will be consulting the RAVE, but for diligence before messing with it, does anybody have any good sound advice? Any do's or dont's? Words of wisdom?

Will I be using regular Dextron tranny fluid when I top it off, or is there a special fluid the 1998 Disco I needs?

By the way... my stomach is in knots over here... PRAYING it was a simple failure at the connection... Ill keep you updated and look forward to your responses!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The leak at the junction could be as simple as a failed "O" ring, make sure you have new ones before you take it apart. Lube the new "O" rings with trans fluid when you install them. Dexron II is the proper fluid. Have you cleaned the area well (with brake clean or something similar) and determined the leak is at the union? If you're having trouble pinpointing the origin, an old trick I learned long ago was to clean the suspect area, sprinkle baby powder over the area, then start it up. The powder will turn dark at the start of the leak. (much easier than trying to look for the shine of the liquid). Make sure to wash the powder off before opening up any unions though.

Edit: Never mind about the powder, I just saw your other post about the stream of fluid. It might be less confusing if you only posted a question once instead of multiple places.

Last edited by Bkreutz; 07-19-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 97DI sprung a real fine pinhole spray at a point in the line itself near the "towel rack" cooler that is behind the grille. I bought a replacement tube from Rovers North. It was around 56 bucks or so I think.

It was a bear to chase down the actual leak as it only leaked when the engine was running, but it was a constant fine spray that would coat the inside of the wheel well on driver's side. The proximity to the PS reservoir had me chasing the wrong system for days.

I finally left it running and crawled underneath with a strong shop light. The spray was evident then.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Also, don't top your fluid off, do a drain and refill cause odds are it is partially burned and brown. If it is brown, do 2 drain and refills back to back, letting the engine run while in gear, then do the second drain to get our as much old fluid as you can.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I got it all taken apart last night without any real problems. Sure enough, there is a pinhole in the 'towel rack' itself.... You can see it right nest to the beginning of the copper fins. Im willing to be I can fix this using a hard solder. I'll keep everyone posted, with pics.

So Disco Mike, Yes indeed. The current fluid is quite burnt, its not pretty. Knowing I need to do the full replacement 2x; can I ask: Will it harm anything to just top it off for now? Ive got quite the busy weekend planned and my Jag has a front suspension project underway... The ol Disco is my only hope.... I wont have the time to do the flush twice today, though.

Will just topping it off cause any adverse effect other than the obvious that the old fluid needs replaced?

Attached Thumbnails Tranny Fluid Cooler - and Fluid Flush-photo-13-.jpg  
Old 07-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could also check with Paul Grant on price and availability of a good used one. He probably has some on hand.