Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trans Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Filter

So I was replacing my cats today figured I would do the trans filter why I was at it....what a PITA but I took some pics if itll help anyone else out.

Up on the lift (yeah I know I need to powerwash the underside lol)
Name:  94a23ddc.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  119.4 KB

1st step remove cats an Y pipe
manifold nuts were 13mm and 14mm on the muffler end
2nd step open drain plug 5mm hex socket
Name:  6558092c.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  157.0 KB

After it drained a while (10-15minutes) removed crossmember. Sorry dont remeber the socket size
Name:  63450441.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  136.3 KB

After removing crossmember I removed the dipstick tube
Name:  0e0414eb.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  122.0 KB

And them the 6 10mm bolts holding the pan in then removed the pan
Name:  d559ff76.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  102.7 KB

Then I removed the filter 3 T25 torx bolts holding the filter on: note where the bolts each came from as they are different lengths
Then you have to remove the pickup tube and place it on the new filter: Use a little lube as there is an Oring it seals on. There is alsso another Oring where the filter seals to trans I used a dab of grease to hold it on for easier install.
Name:  087d3170.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  97.9 KB

Then I cleaned the inside of the pan out with some brake cleaner and removed the magnet and wiped it down and installed new gasket
Name:  54d37028.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  95.4 KB

After that it was pretty much reverse on putting everything back together
filled it with 5 qts of Dextron started up checked the level drove it threw all the gears checked level again and added another 2/3 of a qt

Total time about 4 hours with the cat removal. think the crossmember will come out without Y pipe removed but the crossmember does have to be moved to have enough room to remove pan.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up Brian.Im wonderin if the D2 is the same.I need to do mine cuz @ 178000 miles the trannys a little tired and shifts a little hard sometimes.Spike you should make that a sticky!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by devildog01
Nice write up Brian.Im wonderin if the D2 is the same.I need to do mine cuz @ 178000 miles the trannys a little tired and shifts a little hard sometimes.Spike you should make that a sticky!

Im not sure tell you the truth. The only thing I remember about the D2 is you guys dont have a dipstick just a fill plug in the side of the trans

Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DII is the same only different, no cross member or exhaust in the way, just drain, unbolt the pan and change the filter.
They use the same filter too.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job there Long Haul. What did the inside of the pan look like before cleaning, was it gunked up or any residue on it?

I will get around to mine in the next few weeks hopefully, your write-up was great.

What material type are these filters made of? Just wondering. Good photos, thanks for posting.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Great job there Long Haul. What did the inside of the pan look like before cleaning, was it gunked up or any residue on it?

I will get around to mine in the next few weeks hopefully, your write-up was great.

What material type are these filters made of? Just wondering. Good photos, thanks for posting.

Thanks!

The pan was actually really clean if you see the pic of the filter and valve body I didnt clean that yet in the pic if that helps. The little magnet has some crap around it but not enough to be conserned with. As far as filter material it was like a really fine screen like most other vehicles. I was really impressed with the little clips that hold the pan on theres only six bolts and a formed rubber gasket.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I will also be rebuilding my swival ***** here shortly (at least new seals) if any one is interested ill do some pics there also. I just got done tearing apart an extra set of 3rd members to put new gears and ARB's in and also new set of heavy duty CV's and axles

Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds good, I would appreciate photos of the swivel *****. They are foreign to me.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Sounds good, I would appreciate photos of the swivel *****. They are foreign to me.
I will definatley get some pics and what not when i get my diffs done, I honestly never really messed with them to much on the disco Ive rebuilt them on my buddies duece an a half witch is the same thing only larger scale

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dumb question. do you refill thru the dipstick tube after its all re-assembled, or would it be simpler/recommended to fill thu the hole the tube goes in till it runs out, reassemble the tube and then top up as needed?

Quick Reply: Trans Filter