Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission fluid and filter change

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid and filter change

Hello all! I am in the process of bringing a 1998 discovery back to life for my wife to drive.

The vehicle has 203k miles and I want to know if you guys recommend changing the fluid and filter? If so, fluid type and capacity? I have heard bad stories about people changing your fluid on high mileage cars and messing something up.

Any input would be much appreciated!!

I also plan to change the transfer case and differential fluids. Are the specs for those in the Rave?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Transfer case and diffs use 80/90 gear oil , you can go heavier like 75/140? But it sucks in the winter if you use Dino oil becomes like molasses,i use royal purple i75/140 year round n them and so far so good, expensive if you play in water

Trans I use Valvoline atf+4 because its what I use in my truck no other reason for the brand

I did my filter change at 160,000 +/- no issues

People say not to do it at high miles cause there is the thought that the clutches are worn and in that fluid helping the trans still work

If the fluid looks OK and trans functions I would dump in sea foam and drive a few miles then let it sit a few days and do the service, these run on valves not electronics and valves like to stick, that will clean em

Old 10-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Btw here is the tech section lots of good reading

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...section-32402/

Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Drifting

Thanks about for the good reply Tom. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will get on this asap. I drove the truck today for the first time. Definitely needs front end work, pulls left, and the transmission. Sometimes feels like it has a stall converter... Haha.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Overlanding

I'm a bit late to this party, but have a suggestion or two...

When you go to change the diff and transfer case fluids, if you don't know the service history of the car, don't spend a ton of money on the gear oil you use. If it's been a long time since it was changed, the fresh oil often gets contaminated quickly and needs changing again. This is more true of the diffs than the transfer case.

Also, if you take the car in somewhere to have it done, be warned that some of the oil change places have incorrect info about the transfer case. One tried to put ATF in mine, before I stopped them and told them it needed to be 80/90 gear oil! If they'd put that lightweight ATF in there (as specified in their reference program), it would have been a really expensive disaster!

I also have to do the AT filter and fluid change. I'll be taking it in to have done, even though it's expensive. For one, the fluid needs to be pumped in to get a complete replacement. If you just drain it, you'll get less than half the fluid out of the transmission, so only a partial change. The filter replacement requires removing a cross brace from the vehicle's frame, to be able to drop the transmission pan. Local place charges $300 for the full service (with me supplying the filter and pan gasket, them supplying Mobil 1 ATF... nine quarts if memory serves).