Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Vacuum System Layout

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum System Layout

I Checked the Manual and the RAVE...

I am looking for a diagram or a schematic that details the vacuum system layout. My vacuum system is a complete mess.... Charcoal canister is not connected, no cruise control, etc. It may be the source of some of my nagging little issues...

I want to get all new vacuum lines and do it right.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 94 and I am also looking for the vacuum diagram with no success. It looks like it is found on the radiator core support but mine is completely faded.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
I have a 94 and I am also looking for the vacuum diagram with no success. It looks like it is found on the radiator core support but mine is completely faded.
The Cruise control vac system has nothing to do with the engine vac. lines or system. The CC pump under the left headlamp has its suction line leading aft under the air filter box up to a plastic T just behid the ABS junction. One vac. line T's off toward the throttle control diaphram and the other line leads throught he bulkhead to the lower brake switch.

On your engine the vac lines run from the left side of the plenum to the fuel pressure regulator and the other leads to the vac. advance module on your distributor. On the right side of the plenum the hard plastic line runs to the charcoal canister.

That's all. Used to be that the vac. line diagram was on the underside of the hood at the leading edge.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the heads up. Regardless, I want everything to be the way it should. I have a T coming out of the FW on the drivers side and its not connected to anything. There is a vacuum port on the throttle linkage that is not connected. Charcoal canister is not connected...

I will look for the diagram, but most of those images under the bonnet are pretty well washed out after 15 years.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Winching
Default who likes pictures?

Since you searched and have rave and actually tried to find the answer I am more than happy to help you sir.

Diagram....
Name:  vacdiag2.jpg
Views: 12274
Size:  113.8 KB

the other diagram...
Name:  vacdiag.jpg
Views: 12139
Size:  92.6 KB

This is the vacuum pump for the cruise control system. (It is completely seperate from the engine vacuum system) My finger is touching the primary vac. line which leads back to the T. Normaly this pump resides under the circular punched out hole in the metal framing under the Jack / Power steering res. / air horn. I just pulled it our to show you...
Name:  ccvacpump.jpg
Views: 14023
Size:  127.1 KB

The CC vac. line T... the 90* section leads to the CC diaphram on the throttle linkage and the 180 * section leads throught the Firewall / bulkhead to the brake line vacuum switch.
Name:  CCvacT.jpg
Views: 14102
Size:  100.5 KB

The T leads to this diaphram controlling throttle for CC...
Name:  plenumandccdiaphram.jpg
Views: 14603
Size:  115.9 KB

This is the fuel pressure regulator line... I was incorrect earlier when I described the routing of this vac line to you... I was working from memory... The FPR vac line terminates at the nipple on the plenum under the IAC bypass hose on the backside of the plenum.
Name:  fprvac.jpg
Views: 16119
Size:  86.9 KB

Keep in mind this is my '95 Disco so you have no vac line running from the top of the plenum to the distributor (which you don't have. )

Last edited by Cosmic88; 09-29-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow Sir! That is excellent work! Thank you. This should be a sticky!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Question.....

The Charcoal canister is supposed to hook up to the "fuel Tank" somewhere. I do not see an obvious place for this think to hook up to. I imagine there should be some sort of fitting at the firewall? Do I need to run a new line all the way to the tank?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling

just curios, how would not having any vacum lines properly connected negatively affect the truck? i am missing my t connection and the ac vac line

Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The extra air coming in the intake causes high idle not the mention the fact its unfiltered

Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by cationmoted
just curios, how would not having any vacum lines properly connected negatively affect the truck? i am missing my t connection and the ac vac line
As said, no vac lines and the engine will run poorly... Also, as said, there are multiple and seperate vacuum systems. The T pictured above is for cruise control. The entire cruise control vac system is 100% independent of the engine or evap system. Missing or broken or inoperative cruise control vac lines will not affect engine running at all.

Quick Reply: Vacuum System Layout