Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Viscous Fan clutch swap for an electric fan??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not sure about increasing cooling..... an old school fan driven by the engine moves a lot of air. Now weight (or rotating mass) might be an issue, but these trucks already are heavy, and the engine probably isn't going to put out much more HP or MPG.

I'd save my money for other upgrades or repairs. Is your truck over heating?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viscous Fan clutch swap for an electric fan??

I heard you can swap out the clutch fan for an electric version to save weight and increase cooling??? If anybody knows this electric fan kit please let me know i need to switch my clutch fan regardless

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm not sure about increasing cooling..... an old school fan driven by the engine moves a lot of air. Now weight (or rotating mass) might be an issue, but these trucks already are heavy, and the engine probably isn't going to put out much more HP or MPG.

I'd save my money for other upgrades or repairs. Is your truck over heating?
How can my reply be before the question?

The following users liked this post:
Seattled2 (07-13-2021)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

With 4700 pounds of oil leakin' gas swillin' mud slingin' truck, I'm not sure the fan clutch will be noticed by the scales. With respect to weight on the bearing of the water pump, maybe a little, but there is considerable stress already from the serpantine belt. And water pumps are cheap.

Glad you asked about fans and improoving cooling. Step right over here under the shade tree and allow me to show you a few posts:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...ictures-44044/

and

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...hlight=whupped

You can stop by any salavage yard and get a late model Chevy fan and clutch for maybe $15 to experiment with. Drill out the four holes in your fan slightly and it will bolt up to the Chevy clutch.

You can find write ups on swapping out to the fan electric fan for a Ford Taurus, but you won't get as much cooling as you do from the mechanical fan.

IMHO - the Rover cooling system is undersized. By putting on a stiffer fan clutch (heavy duty or extreme duty) and a larger fan (blade pitch), you can increase air flow by 40 - 50% at idle, and it also helps while driving. With an electric fan, you hope it will keep up at idle, and it has no boost for driving. One great use for a Rover is off road, where you can be higher RPM and lower speed. In that situation, you want all the cooling you can get. An electric fan that just handles idle temps, like on a minivan, won't do so well trail climbing, rock climbing, and hogging, etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 PM
4th Gear

Thanks guys i just searched up an auxiliary electric cooling fan, but its expensive either way it does exist lol appreciate the help. Yes my disco is overheating but i discussed earlier and is just the clutch fan i have to swap.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

If your Disco is overheating at idle and low speeds it can be the clutch. But at highway speed the fan is a very small part of the cooling, overheat at roadway speed is something else. Fan clutch, when warmed up, should not spin more than 1/2 turn by hand, should not free-wheel. Overheat can easily be old junk in radiator, yours is one that can be acid flushed and rodded out, indy shops do this for like $70.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate clutch fans with a passion so I'm always for electric conversions. A lot of guys get scared by the price of the new kits, truth is you can get one from a scrap yard that will out cool the aftermarket kits for way cheaper. My fiances s-10 has a fire breathing 330hp 4.6 under the hood and we ditched the clutch fan for a unit pulled from an LS1 powered late 90's Camaro (90's Ford Taurus electric fans are also known for massive cfm). The Camaro unit has two fans, one is wired as the low speed fan and the other wired to come on with the A/C. It cost a total of $50 including wiring and straps and it works like dream and sure beats the $400 e fan conversion that is sold for those trucks. More room, less noise and more power not to mention its much better looking than that stupid clutch driven dinosaur.

Not sure if either of these fans fit a Land Rover but I would imagine both would with room to spare. You can always measure and then go to a pick a part and find something similar in size.

Overheating at idle is a good sign of clutch failure, what better time to upgrade?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Spend $10 - $15 bucks at the salvage yard, replace with used Chevy clutch, continue testing other areas. Overheat problem needs to be cured, or you will be doing a head gasket job. Or use the clutch from a 2000 Chevy work van with a 4.3 engine, NO AC, about $45 at auto parts store. Written up in the tech sticky, you just have to enlarge the existing holes in your fan.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Forgive me if I am wrong, but would a Saudi grill help in getting more air cooling to the radiator and motor?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been reading about the contour dual fan swap lately on this board, and other rover and 4x4 boards and will probably be trying that out soon when i get to the dual battery and underhood work.

the contour setup is so cheap with used parts and a decent fan controller that theres almost no reason not to give it a shot!

would be curious to hear back from the OP if he ends up doing the electric conversion.

Quick Reply: Viscous Fan clutch swap for an electric fan??