Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Warm Restart Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Can you do me a favor and use the UG to check for codes. You may have them pending which doesn't light the Check Engine Light or your CEL bulb might be burned out.

The following users liked this post:
Hailestone (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You said the mass air increases a lot when driving, if so that should be OK, check the wiring and plug at crank sensor(back of engine drivers side), cam sensor ( near water pump), both knock sensors ( lower block one each side about middle)

Like scouts said recheck for codes

Your intake air temp does not rise much , when you get it figured out it will be obvious lol

Hailestone (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Can you do me a favor and use the UG to check for codes. You may have them pending which doesn't light the Check Engine Light or your CEL bulb might be burned out.
Checked for trouble codes. No actual or pending codes were listed. I cleared a code with a January date, date was prior to my purchase, with the UG. I think it was related to the ABS which is disabled. Checked the vehicle Readiness on the UG and it indicated the O2 sensor and O2 sensor heater were OK. But I'm not sure those indicators are accurate on this truck. The vehicle runs well. If it weren't for the UG, I wouldn't know there was an open loop issue. Haven't tracked my mileage with pen and paper. But, I'd say mpg is 10-12. It been unseasonably cool this week. So, the weather has not presented the conditions for a warm start fail. Probably more than you wanted to know. I do appreciate the help. Time, it may take. But answer, we shall find!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOM R
You said the mass air increases a lot when driving, if so that should be OK, check the wiring and plug at crank sensor(back of engine drivers side), cam sensor ( near water pump), both knock sensors ( lower block one each side about middle)

Like scouts said recheck for codes

Your intake air temp does not rise much , when you get it figured out it will be obvious lol
I'll check the wiring to those sensors. What am I looking for - frayed wires, broken connectors ? Its been unusually cool this week. So that's part of the reason for the intake temps I gave. I drove the truck through the mountains last weekend. The coolant temp got up to 210-220 as I idled on the side of the road checking the gauges. Intake temp was @190. On the way home, slow descent, late afternoon, the coolant dropped down into 170-180 range and intake down to 120-130+/- I was amazed at the change as the dash temp gauge certainly didn't reflect the temp swings shown on the UG. Appreciate the help.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Drifting

The 02 sensor replacement was today's objective. Got through removing the coil pack and disconnecting the right 02 sensor from the multi-plug. This is when the plan fell apart. Second trip to O'Reily's to learn from some knowledgeable customers that a blow torch is needed to heat the pipe and free the sensors. Decided, given the limited space under the jack stands, that a blow torch was a sub-optimal alternative for me. Time to take it to the shop and leave it with those who possess skills. On a positive note, I did replace the front headlight and fog light bulbs. After the professionals replace the 02 sensors, I'll post if the warm start/open loop issue has been resolved.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

What's your thermostat temp again?
Those coolant readings tell me bad fan clutch and or belt routed wrong, or bad radiator, or needs a flush with correct 50/50 mix, or debris between the condensor and rad

Do free first

Check correct belt routing

Tilt rad back look for crap in front of it

Engine hot and turned off does the fan spin free?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Drifting

02 sensors replaced, by others, but that did not resolve the open loop issue being reported by my Ultragauge. No worries. Replacing them eliminated that issue from the equation.

The viscous fan roars on start-up. I'll check the belt routing, fan spin, debri and coolant mix. I suspect they need some attention.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Cranked the truck up and placed a sheet of paper at the front of the grille. The sheet was drawn up against the grille immediately. So, I'm assuming the belt is driving the fan in the correct direction as a result.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If it's over-fueling in "open loop" it's gonna increase coolant temp. The only option in regards to the open loop is to replace the ECU. Will or Paul have good used units.

Hailestone (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
If it's over-fueling in "open loop" it's gonna increase coolant temp. The only option in regards to the open loop is to replace the ECU. Will or Paul have good used units.
Appreciate the help! I'll post results after getting the ECU installed.

Quick Reply: Warm Restart Issue