Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window Lift ECU Performance Observation

Old 11-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Window Lift ECU Performance Observation

It's a bit slow today at work, so I thought I'd pull the window ECU out to check for the customary bad solder joints and, of course, they were there. Real minor (and hard to spot) cracks on several connections which reflowed nicely, but I did notice a pattern that I thought should be shared. Every joint that had cracked on my circuit board was associated with the relays on the other side. I also noticed that all three relays were "slightly" above the board - the two white ones were less than a paper thickness, but the black power relay was easily 3-4 sheets above-which I can see how a few rough roads and the board sitting on it's side would put a bit of a strain on those terminals. So, my "fix", which only time will tell, was to put a gob of Goop next to each relay case which flowed down the sides and attached them to each other and the circuit board. By Goop, I mean the automotive contact adhesive and sealant, NAPA P/N 7652620 which I would equate to a thick-bodied "RTV" that flows or settles to the lowest point and has excellent adhesive qualities while remaining slightly flexible - I also recommend this as a weatherstrip adhesive over the 3M product. Just my 2 cents - always value opinions/thoughts from others. Russ

Old 11-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Mudding

By the way, I also used the Goop to reattach my bumper ends to the side brackets after I cut the front "air dam" crap off and broke the screw bosses. Holding tight after 3 weeks now... Russ

Old 11-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Mudding

Well, the ECU repair worked perfectly - slid it in after work, tried left rear , went down,... but not up -crap! and a snow storm coming in! But pulled the switch plate and swapped a front swith to that connector and up it went!
So- today I pulled all the front switches out and rebuilt them, everything is good there. But now I've discovered that right rear motor spins but obviously not connected to the track and right front is making a little popping at full down - so, I guess I'll get into the rollers next. Russ

Old 01-25-2016, 12:30 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

hey partsguru.. did you get the rollers on your window done? I found a combo of neoprene washers that do a great job. The fix that involves the washers in hot water is a temp fix. they eventually come off. I used a smaller washer that was cut and used as a lock ring that has kept it all together for 2 - 3 years now. smooth as butter.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Mudding

No, I haven't yet - I did my roto-flex coupler on the driveline this weekend, but I was thinking today that that is the best thing to get into next! I am really excited to get into this and put my design thoughts into this - would definitely be interested in your design though if you have specifics. Russ