Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window Regulator Bushing Repair(alternative method)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Regulator Bushing Repair(alternative method)

So my rear driver window regulator had a broken bushing in the window track. So I wanted an easy and cheap fix. I originally was going to follow sleepercoupe's thread, https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/how-window-regulator-bushing-repair-39684/
which is an excellent tutorial, but I was looking for a way that didnt require to much modification. I went to my local hardware store, ACE, and picked up some nylon washers. They are 1 inch in diameter and 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch in thickness. The reason for two different thickness is I wasnt sure how thick the rail was, only because I didn't measure it before I left.

As you can see here the inside holes are different diameters, this will be shown why in later pics.

Here we can see the different thickness.

Im going to assume everyone can pull the door panel and handle off, so I will not go into that part. So with these removed we next remove the the window regulator.

Beneath the door panel is four bolts, 8mm, that holds the regulator in place, remove these.

Next, there are two bolts that hold the rail to the bottom of the window. You dont need to completely remove the bolts, just loosen enough to slide the rail to the left and pull off.

To access this bolt you may need to remove the door handle. I tried to get at it with out doing this and ended up removing it for ease. Its only held on with two screws, to easy.

Now with all the bolts removed/loosened, 6 total, pull the regulator out.

The round **** on the end is where we will be putting the nylon washers.

The washers with the smaller inner diameter hole go on first. I slide them over the round ****, they are a tight fit but will go over with a little persuasion. I used 2 of these.

View after put on.

To put the washers into the rail you will need to bend up the ends of the rail. Easily done with a flat head screw driver.

Next I put the washer with the larger diameter center on top of the other two. The round **** will fit inside the larger hole. You then insert the the washers into the rail as shown in the pic. I tried several different combos with the washers and found the best that worked for me is one large washer and two of the smaller, with the larger washer and one of the smaller inside the rail and one outside the rail. Come to think of it I'm not sure why I put one on the outside. Made sence at the time but now that I think about it, its not needed and serves no purpose there. But like I said try it and use what works best for you. After you get the washer combo you want to use inside the rail you will need to crimp the corners down you straightened out.

And thats it, re-install everything in reverse order it was removed and you are done. One other suggestion I would make is to put a little grease on the washers to allow them to slide a little more easily in the rail.

Enjoy.....

Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 1998 aswell, was yours making a hard scraping sound and sometimes falling through the door frame?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Mine made a few scrapping noises from the medal on medal sliding but never fell. It would get stuck in the up position from the round metal **** getting stuck in the hole for the bolt on the rail. But I could see it coming off the rail if nothing was there holding it in place.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, that's exactly like mine. I may try your little trick. It's annoying cruising around and embarrasingly telling your passenger he can't roll the window down.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

What did you do about the blue water-proofing material behind the door panel? Did you remove it?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for this write-up! Was not able to find the washers above but some 3/8" nylon washers and put two onto the regulator and it fit perfect into the track.

Here is what I used.

Crown Bolt Nylon 3/8 in. Washer - 86968 at The Home Depot

Andrew

The following users liked this post:
firstgeer (10-17-2021)
Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Overlanding

Andr3w was spot on! 65 cents at Home Depot and five minutes later I had an improved window regulator bushing! The top of this thread was great and very informative but the instructions from Andr3w just saved me a bunch of time. I put both bushings on the piece that was pop riveted and covered the top and bottom tracks with a generic grease. My left rear window works better now than any of the others!

Chris

Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by cjaclwill
Andr3w was spot on! 65 cents at Home Depot and five minutes later I had an improved window regulator bushing! The top of this thread was great and very informative but the instructions from Andr3w just saved me a bunch of time. I put both bushings on the piece that was pop riveted and covered the top and bottom tracks with a generic grease. My left rear window works better now than any of the others!

Chris
My home depot didn't carry this washer - did you get it from a physical store or online ?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Default Motor test

I could hear my window motor run before I took everything apart - but I wanted to test it before I put everything back together.

I pulled the control button off of the door panel, connected it to the harness wires, and connected the regulator (but put it on the floor of the car) The motor does not work with either button - does this mean it needs to be installed in the door to test?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Overlanding

Is your key turned on all the way? I know it sounds dumb but I had to mess with key positions to get mine to work. And I used my rear dirver side window button to test the regulator before I finished the install.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Bushing Repair(alternative method)