Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wobble of death!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

All US spec Discos have ABS.
Fish scale is for non-ABS axles, torque wrench is for ABS axles.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the wobble and could not find any tolerances out of specs. Replaced the steering stabilizer and shock bushings and all was well again.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
I had the wobble and could not find any tolerances out of specs. Replaced the steering stabilizer and shock bushings and all was well again.
All a new steering stabilizer does is mask a problem. It could be your shock bushing were bad enough to cause it, though unlikely.
My guess is you missed something in the checklist.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

All a new steering stabilizer does is mask a problem x2

Old 04-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

That is what I read from a number of posts, I thought I might get away with that until I checked a little deeper. Glad I did!!

Got the donor axle apart, everything checks out good! no leaks at the seal, and still full of grease inside the ball. Decided to clean up the rotor and use it as well. Hopefully it doesn't give me a pulsing pedal. but I will chance it. Worse case I will switch them later.

I will probably just do the problem side for now as I will most likely run out of steam trying for both sides at once. Drivers side has a lot of play and the bad CV joint, as well as the worse leaking seal (corrosion on the ball) We'll see how that goes!
Name:  DSCN1661_zps5qh7slch.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  253.1 KB

Name:  DSCN1660_zpsoitccxjp.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  180.2 KB

I guess I will have the differential left over if anyone is looking for one, Hate to see it go to waste...

Last edited by jimvw57; 04-22-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Baja

Here's a suggestion while you have things apart, to make life easier in the future.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...acement-39705/

Old 04-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
That is what I read from a number of posts, I thought I might get away with that until I checked a little deeper. Glad I did!!

Got the donor axle apart, everything checks out good! no leaks at the seal, and still full of grease inside the ball. Decided to clean up the rotor and use it as well. Hopefully it doesn't give me a pulsing pedal. but I will chance it. Worse case I will switch them later.

I will probably just do the problem side for now as I will most likely run out of steam trying for both sides at once. Drivers side has a lot of play and the bad CV joint, as well as the worse leaking seal (corrosion on the ball) We'll see how that goes!

I guess I will have the differential left over if anyone is looking for one, Hate to see it go to waste...
Why aren't you just swapping the whole axle assembly over????
Originally Posted by antichrist
Here's a suggestion while you have things apart, to make life easier in the future.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...acement-39705/
I just did that on my '96, with the lines still in the brackets. I like to live life on the edge, LOL.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
That's EXACTLY what I asked, LOL! ^^^
Put some wheels on it and roll it under there.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I figured I could handle sliding the ends on much easier than trying to lift the whole axle into place. Mostly a weight thing I guess. The donor axle has a bad caliper on the pass side, and the rotor on that side is pretty rough (not that that is a big deal) but I guess I am more comfortable with swapping in the parts after I have been through them. Nothing wrong with the differential or axle housing on my truck so that is what I did.

Thought about slotting the bracket for the brake line but I figured I should be good for a few years so maybe next time. They came apart easily enough.

Got the drivers side done today which was the main problem side. Might wait a bit for the other side just because there is an event to go to tomorrow (saturday) and I might do the pass side on Sunday. Pass side is mostly a leaking oil thing and not contributing to the death wobble yet. Just a badly corroded swivel Ball.

Keep in mind I am a 60 year old guy with a messed up knee (was just replaced 2 months ago) no garage, no driveway, Just trying to keep this neat old truck in one piece. It isn't a show truck, nor a built trail truck. I just like the way it looks and drives. It still has it's share of leaks and groans and moans but given enough time, it should be a good truck.

You guys have helped me alot and I do appreciate the advice and pointers! I just move a bit slowly.

Last edited by jimvw57; 04-25-2015 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Wobble of death!!