Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Xfer case alarm on and lever stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xfer case alarm on and lever stuck

The transfer case neutral alarm started sounding after a 10 minites stop on a fishing trip (after 2hrs driving) I decided to move the lever to Low and then back to high to try to stop it and found out it was stuck (worked fine when offroading until recently).

The other unusual things I noticed before that were that I experienced twice a 2 seconds drop of power while driving on the highway about one hour before. My guess is it'not related.

The offroad part of the trip with xfer case locked ( but no low gear available) and highway ride back (200 miles) went well except that the center console felt unusually hot, and that alarm never stopped.

I checked fuse 13 (xfer box solenoid) it it' s fine. Pushing the key in the start switch while the engine runs stops the alarm, if that has any meaning...

I now need to check if there's any power to the xfer box solenoid (k161) on the top of xfer case.

Does anyone know if that can ce accessed from underneath or only by removing the console?

By the way the cd changer stopped working too but I see no common ground on the electrical diagram...

Thanks for any hint...

Old 07-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

To access solonoid, you need to drop trans or cut a hole in the side of the trans tunnel

More then likely the solonoid is going, remove it , gut it and replace cove

Some have got it out without doing the above but it is not fun either way

Look through my d1 thread there's pics of it when I had trans out

Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling

I just want to make sure it's not a remote electrical problem before removing the centre console.
Somethings definitely wrong: the alarms stops when I wiggle the key in the starter switch while on D. It starts again if I shift in N or P.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

mine was doing this after i r & r the trans last year, i am sure there is something here thats says how to disconnect it, iirc i kept messing with the cdl shifter to get it to go away

Old 07-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Tom R, I read through your old posts and you also had that tone that would not turn off. How did younget rid of it? I thought it was the xfer case neutral switch but Ijumpe d the wire in the connector and it still sounds...

I will go back to the ignition switch and clean the contacts...

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Iirc I messed with the CDL and it eventually went away? Think I even tried mfu swap, my sign had got stuck also where key would not remove, unplugged something on the tumbler

Old 07-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Xfer case stuck-- got solenoid out

Ok thanks. I now finally got the solenoid out. One of the bolts was so hard to get out that the head rounded off and I had to get an appropriate bolt remover. The cover was also pretty well stuck into Some right stuff sealant.

Solenoid's now out and the lever moves again. I lubricated the tumbler and will now look into that area.

I kept hearing a constant ticking when i was working on it, like a clock...it was the cd changer head, even without having the key in the switch. That might be a lead.

I'll continue on sunday night.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I got stuck in hi on the trails yesterday, had to drive up on a rock and crawl under to unbolt the cap, but could not get the solonoid out, beat on the solonoid with hammer, got her in low and put the cap back on , left out that wavy washer, all seems OK for now, burned my arm bad on the hot t case big blisters and all

Was worth it to get low range for climbing rocks

Old 07-21-2015, 05:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Wow that's something! I tried from underneath first but could not reach all 4 screws. That would have been much simpler than taking the whole console off.

On the other hand I'm now glad I did it. I lubed everything properly and also took the transmission shifter solenoid out as a preventative measure...I'd hate to be stuck somewhre because of that.

I checked the xfer box switch and the circuit was open in H N and L. I jumped the contact on the incoming connector but the alarm kept sounding....

To be continued...

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Went to conector C105 and sprayed contact cleaner on the pins. Alarm's gone for now...Let's wait and see if that lasts...

Quick Reply: Xfer case alarm on and lever stuck