Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Car Tent" for Discovery

Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Car Tent" for Discovery

hi all,

I'm studying abroad in Stockholm next semester and so the Disco is going to get about a half year of sitting on it's fat *** in my parents yard. I'm researching things to do in terms of long term storage of course, but what i really want to get is a nice shelter for it to be protected from the elements. I live in Massachusetts so between January and June it's going to get plenty of snow, rain, sleet and sap falling from the sky.

i want to get one of those 4-season "Rhino Shelter" car tents but i'm not sure which to get... does anyone have experience with these things?

this is what i'm talking about:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1124_200121124

says it's 8 feet high although i'm not sure about the door...

My Disco stands 6'8" with it's rack, so i need something pretty tall.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: "Car Tent" for Discovery

Well do this before you buy anything, go to a self storage unit and inquire about inside storage for a car. It runs from $25-$50 per month, even at $50 per month that is still cheaper than the tent that you are looking at, it would be inside a building and you could put a battery tender on it to keep the battery full.
Where ever you store it make sure that you put storage insurance on it, that way if the building burns down or a tree falls on it it will be covered.
Buy four jack stands, put two under each axle so that you take the weight off of the tires.
Buy a quart of Sta-Bil fuel stabalizer, dump that whole thing into the gas tank and then fill up with premium, drive it to storage and park it, put the jack stands under the axles, hook up the battery tender, lock the doors and give her one last kiss.
Almost forgot, change the oil and filter the day before you store it and then change it again a day or two after you get it out of storage.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

mini-storage is insanely expensive in my area for some reason. $192/Mo. for one big enough for the truck, or $250 for a climate controlled one.

so... two months and that's the cost of the tent

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Wow, that is insane. When I was going through my divorce I had climate controlled storage and it was $60 a month for a huge unit, had my utility trailer, washer and dryerand all of my stuff in there with room left over.
Have you thought about a car cover?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9773.cfm

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Get a car cover, I have found outdoor ones for $150, it will be easier to manage and store. You may have to remove your roof rack though.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling

i have a car cover i got from AutoZone for like $50... that Atlantic British one looks nice and hardcore though. Anyone on here use one of those? i don't want any sap finding its way in...

Old 10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Buy 2 car covers from AutoZone, double the protection.
Here is what I would do, but this is just me, I would just park it and not worry about it. It's just a car. Give it a good wash and wax job before you park it and dont worry about it, after all, it is meant to be outside.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you take Spike's advice and put it on jack stands, I would put some large square pieces of wood under the stands. You don't want them sinking into the ground when the snow melts.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Rock Crawling

If you do get a tentstake it down good or it will fly away in a wind storm and put some nasty scratches on your rover.

Willie

Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang! I was hoping this would be about these sweet tents that integrated into the open door of the Disco, that I saw at a Car Show when I was a kid!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Car Tent" for Discovery