Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 DII, needs engine - what to band aid until I can get the $'s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
A_J
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 DII, needs engine - what to band aid until I can get the $'s?

so I have an '03 DII with the typical engine oil pressure issues. The dealer says I need lifters, a Rover shop nearby says I need a new engine, and from you helpful folks, I indeed need a new engine. I can't afford that at the moment, so I need to keep it running until I can. It's been making lifter noises for a long time, so I think I can squeak by, but I have to resolve my water issues - I have a water leak, probably the pump or the front case seal, not sure which - will figure that out tomorrow.

My question is, do I do the oil pump while I'm there, and try to keep the engine running longer, or is that just throwing money (and effort) away? If it's just the water pump I'm leaning toward not doing the oil pump, but wanted to get opinions from you folks.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is your '03 in the VIN range for the bad oil pumps?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stop driving it or yes, you will need an entire new engine.
Send me your number and I'll call you with your options.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Lifter noise? Forget it and drive it.
Fix the coolant leak, drive it.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my best advice:

Park your truck.
Buy a running $500 beater off craigslist. You can find them, trust me. Both of my DD's are $550 and $600 cars I got off craigslist.
Save monies like crazy until you can get another engine.
Look for Land Rover club around where you live. Make friends there.
Buy engine, request a tech day for your engine install on club forum.
Provide pizza and soda at said tech day.
When engine is installed, offer parts of value off the old engine for others to have.
Call it a day.

This pretty much sums up my route to Rover ownership!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
A_J
4wd Low
Default Thanks Mike

Mike, Thanks for the call and advice, I appreciate it.

Couple of questions:
1) the VIN is in the range of the oil pump issues, but since I'm at 110k, I'm assuming that the pump is not going to explode on me.
2) When I had the truck at a local Rover shop to diagnose the lifter noise, they told me that I had low oil pressure. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but he said he heard "bearing wrap" and that was why I wasn't getting oil to the lifters, hence the noise. I need to test the oil pressure to get specifics, but assuming the pressure is low, will replacing the pump fix that? Since I know I need a head gasket and am planning to do that, it would be ideal to replace the pump in the process, but before I spend the $$ I want to be sure not only that it's necessary, but also that it is a reasonable thing to do.
What is "bearing wrap" and do you think that is a red herring?

Thanks again for your help.
Andy

Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Bearing wrap is also called a "spun bearing", basically it means either a rod bearing or main bearing has actually spun sideways out of it's proper position and oil is not being circulated like it should be. If that has happened your engine has a very short lifespan.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
A_J
4wd Low
Default bearing wrap

he said he heard it, but I don't hear anything. I'm not saying he's wrong, just that the truck has been making the same noises at startup for th 50k miles I've had it (I got it at around 60k miles). I was unable to get an oil pressure reading - I thought I could get it with an ODBC reader, but no. Getting a guage is next.

How can I confirm this without taking the bearings out? I'm assuming that's the only way, but I think that's way more effort than I want to put in.

I think I'll replace the head gasket and lifters/rockers or whatever is worn on the upper part of the engine. If I have low oil pressure, I'll replace the oil pump as well. Does this sound reasonable?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to put a mechanical gauge on it to read pressure. The truck only has a switch @ 8psi. Installing one on an 03 is a good idea anyway. There is a write up in one of the stickys.

If you have a spun bearing, you will have to replace the bearings. If it is just the pump, you can try swapping the gears in the front cover. Check your numbers first and post back.