Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Have my truck in a shop in the Atlanta area having Cannibal V8 put in it. Due to some BS I hope gets straightened out, my 40+ years of getting screwed over before is causing my "Spiddy Senses" to go nutz.

Now the shop is recommending me to put in a oil cooler. He states:

"The '03 and '04 Discovery's did not get an oil cooler installed because back then the Government raised the emission standards so the only way for Land Rover to stay within the standards was to get rid of the oil cooler witch raises the engine temp higher to burn more crap out of the exhaust."

They are asking to put a oil cooler in to make the truck run much cooler to add to the engine longitivtiy. They are asking $780 for the used oil cooler, installed.

Since I am losing some trust in this shop, I figured I would come here and ask some opinions.

Any thoughts?
First congrats on the Cannibal V8. The oil cooler is a must in my opinion. Sounds a little pricey but there is some labor to install one and the price of the oil cooler and lines and fittings. I did both of these mods as well. You will be happy.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"The '03 and '04 Discovery's did not get an oil cooler installed because back then the Government raised the emission standards so the only way for Land Rover to stay within the standards was to get rid of the oil cooler witch raises the engine temp higher to burn more crap out of the exhaust."
Hmm...I wonder if anyone at LR bothered to test the 4.6 at hot operating temperatures AFTER the BMW Accounting Dept. gave the "green light" for the cheap emissions fix. Could the lack of the presence of the oil cooler be a contributor to the liners letting loose in the 4.6 blocks? Tick-tick-tick...

Last edited by sdhow; 10-23-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sdhow
Hmm...I wonder if anyone at LR bothered to test the 4.6 at hot operating temperatures AFTER the BMW Accounting Dept. gave the "green light" for the cheap emissions fix. Could the lack of the presence of the oil cooler be a contributor to the liners letting loose in the 4.6 blocks? Tick-tick-tick...
it is the dumbest decision LR made regarding oil temp. Probably contributes to 60% of the heating problems. I guess Cost was the issue as the company was going through ownership almost weekly...total stupidity

Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
it is the dumbest decision LR made regarding oil temp. Probably contributes to 60% of the heating problems. I guess Cost was the issue as the company was going through ownership almost weekly...total stupidity
BMW wanted Mini and Rolls Royce and was "spit shining" it's turd, Land Rover, to 'off' on Ford. They knew Ford would be primarily looking at profitablity (send in the accountants!) and cut corners all over the place. Hell, it cost BMW $100 million to get someone to take Rover!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks all for the replies.

Yes Yoops, I am really excited about the Cannibal V8 as well.

I did have the oil cooler installed. The shop hooked me up since they are the ones supporting the Cannibal warranty.

Minus having any other issues, such as the crappy job SafeLite did installing a new windshield several years back and not wanting to honor their warranty, I should be picking the truck up tomorrow.

Super Stoked to get behind the wheel of the "NEW" truck!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks all for the replies.

Yes Yoops, I am really excited about the Cannibal V8 as well.

I did have the oil cooler installed. The shop hooked me up since they are the ones supporting the Cannibal warranty.

Minus having any other issues, such as the crappy job SafeLite did installing a new windshield several years back and not wanting to honor their warranty, I should be picking the truck up tomorrow.

Super Stoked to get behind the wheel of the "NEW" truck!
Sounds great. The Shop is about the best local place to get D2/LR service upgrades etc...Curious which Cannibal V8 motor version did you go with?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Cannibal Short Block. The shop spiffed up the heads for me and put in a new front cover pump.

Just found out that SafeLite F@#&@ the Windshield AGAIN. What a $4!TTY outfit!

Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Reviving old thread

I found a brand new oil cooler on Ebay for Discovery 2(early model) and made an offer of 45.00 and he accepted. Went ahead and purchased two cooler lines and will install when they get here.
I have had a leak from on both of the plugs that were installed where the lines go, and figured an oil cooler can not hurt anything.

'03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler-%24_57.jpg

'03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler-%24_57-3.jpg

'03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler-%24_57-2.jpg

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 08-12-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I found a brand new oil cooler on Ebay for Discovery 2(early model) and made an offer of 45.00 and he accepted. Went ahead and purchased two cooler lines and will install when they get here.
I have had a leak from on both of the plugs that were installed where the lines go, and figured an oil cooler can not hurt anything.

Attachment 26928

Attachment 26929

Attachment 26930
very wise decision....especially where you live........

Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been following this thread, and I really like what I see here.

I live in arizona, and it routinely tops 115F here in the summer.

Disco does not like.

Can anyone point me toward where these plugs are for the oil cooler lines?

Amazon sells some great aftermarket oil cooler setups with AN fittings for not much, I used one for my superduty transmission a few years back and it does a great job in the heat.

I'd prefer to use stock holes than a sandwich adapter, but will make the call once I figure out PITA factor in getting to them.

Going to have the truck down for a bit, as my T-case is howling like a banshee, so I like to get it all done at once.

Cooler I'm referencing is here:
Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 4110 TransLife Transmission Oil Cooler Kit - 10,000 GVW: Automotive Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 4110 TransLife Transmission Oil Cooler Kit - 10,000 GVW: Automotive

Quick Reply: '03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler