Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco 'S - clattering sound and vibration over 65

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts
Default '03 Disco 'S - clattering sound and vibration over 65

For a while now I've been hoping I just had a wheel out of balance, so I ignored the problem. Then today, traveling down the interstate at 75, I heard a clattering sound. I pulled over, kicked on all the wheels, looked around, saw nothing. I headed on my way since I was only a couple miles away, but it was clattering pretty good and it was in sync with the vibration. It was too hot to check the driveshaft, but thats my fear. I'll check it when I get back to the truck. Any thoughts or second opinions?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

My guess is that your front prop shaft is worn at the double cardan joint.

STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK NOW.

Continuing to drive with the prop shaft in that condition will lead to it's failure. When it fails, it will knock a 4" hole into your transmission case. Don't let a $300 repair turn into a $3000 one, and stop driving the truck until you replace your front prop shaft.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, I got back to the truck and checked the driveshaft. It had quite a bit of play in it, so driveshaft problems have been confirmed. My dad was with me and I explained out options. He opted for me to drive it 1.5 hrs (at 45mph, usually an hour drive) back to campus, then he would bring me a different vehicle to swap out in a couple days. He will have to drive the same distance back to our house where it will be parked until it can be fixed. I also explained what would happen if it grenaded while on my way back to campus or on his way home and I tried to talk him into trailering it home, but he said he would pay to fix it if it went. Oh well, I have been expunged of all responsibility. I've been wanting to drop a manual trans in it for a long time anyway.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ok, I got back to the truck and checked the driveshaft. It had quite a bit of play in it, so driveshaft problems have been confirmed. My dad was with me and I explained out options. He opted for me to drive it 1.5 hrs (at 45mph, usually an hour drive) back to campus, then he would bring me a different vehicle to swap out in a couple days. He will have to drive the same distance back to our house where it will be parked until it can be fixed. I also explained what would happen if it grenaded while on my way back to campus or on his way home and I tried to talk him into trailering it home, but he said he would pay to fix it if it went. Oh well, I have been expunged of all responsibility. I've been wanting to drop a manual trans in it for a long time anyway.
It's not just the autobox at risk it can also 'shred' your transfer box as the front shaft is attached to it. Hope it's OK for that trip and nothing untoward happens en route. If your Dads got lots of dosh tell him I'm a willing recipient and not too proud as well

Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

3 hours at highway speeds with that kind of play?

Might has well just call Paul Grant now and line up the replacement transmission and t-case now.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy

I've got an extra transmission and a transfer case from an '04 I've been meaning to get switched, I just haven't had the cash.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
It's not just the autobox at risk it can also 'shred' your transfer box as the front shaft is attached to it. Hope it's OK for that trip and nothing untoward happens en route. If your Dads got lots of dosh tell him I'm a willing recipient and not too proud as well
Haha, I wish my dad had cash to throw around. He just seems to think my more serious automotive warnings are less serious than I say despite being proven more knowledgeable than himself repeatedly.

Last edited by Alex_M; 02-02-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Camel Trophy

I talked to my dad one last time trying to convince him to just trailer me our Mustang over here to campus and trailer Frank back home. I'm not sure what he's going to do, but he didn't say no. I'll find out this evening.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I talked to my dad one last time trying to convince him to just trailer me our Mustang over here to campus and trailer Frank back home. I'm not sure what he's going to do, but he didn't say no. I'll find out this evening.
Activate the fuel cutoff valve and tell him you can't start the engine now it'll take him ages to 'clock' what you've done

The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (02-03-2015)

Quick Reply: '03 Disco 'S - clattering sound and vibration over 65