Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 DII or LR3

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 DII or LR3

I am the previous owner of an '04 DII, and I am looking to get either another DII or an LR3. Having previously owned a DII I am comfortable with them, and with the faults they usually get, which is a big plus for the DII already. However, I'd like to get the opinion of the masses as to which they would suggest based on the following set of criteria:

- Off-road capability: Its a no brainer than the DI and DII's are formidable off-road beasts, but how does the LR3 stack up in comparison? I read some stuff about the LR3 tipping over more easily, can anyone elaborate on this issue? How does its TC and CDL combo compare to the DII? Which of the two vehicles is the more capable off-road vehicle? I've heard it both ways, and I definitely encourage debate on boths sides because I'd like to weigh opinions.

- The LR3 is obviously nicer as far as amenities goes, but is it much roomier than the DII?

- Reliability: with the DII I kinda know what I'm getting myself into repair wise, and I'm comfortable doing the majority of the repairs. However, with the LR3, while I might not get the three amigos, my differential might explode... and that I'm not so comfortable messing with. My wife currently owns an LR2, so I am aware of the pinion bearing issue, which I assume is the same for the LR3, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Are the LR3 issues service center only issues (ie, way out of the scope of the average DIY mechanic like myself, eg, I'm not going to rebuild a drive shaft on the DII, I'd take it to a shop)?

- Modability: I realize the Disco is light years ahead in customization options and I really want to take a truck and make it sexy (like the one in this picture: Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum - willrok13's Album: RedRover - Picture). However, the LR3 design is pretty nice to look at on its own, but I'd like to do a few things to it. How easily can something like an Old Man Emu suspension be installed on an LR3? Will an LR3 accommodate a lift, even 2"s? Is there any place that has a variety of LR3 aftermarket parts?

-Finally, comfort vs functionality: Admittedly the primary use of my vehicle will be a DD, and to that end I appreciate the LR3's refined ride and amenities. However, I do like to off-road and my DII got some occasionally. For someone that likes to off-road (especially camp in remote locations, and rock climb [with my hands and feet]), is the DD benefit of the LR3 worth any loss (if there's any at all) in the off-road capabilities of the DII, or is the LR3 comparable to the DII in off-roading that the DD benefits make it the go to truck? PS, I'm not going to go rock crawling in either.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post. My brain is exploding.

Edit: Longevity: What can I expect out of a well maintained LR3?

Last edited by phil29; 04-23-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Reliability? LR3

Roomyness: LR3

Comfort: LR3

Off Roading: D2

Options available: D2, but the LR3 is catching up rapidly

I own 3 D2's, but I daily drive my LR3

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 04-24-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Fantastic, I'm glad I got a reply from someone who actually owns both. If you have time I'd like to pick your brain.

I figured comfort and reliability would go to the LR3, that's no surprise. But would you mind elaborating on how readily you can perform maintenance (and common repairs like the HG's on the DII) on the LR3 vs the DII? Is there some sort of Rave for the LR3? Also, what kind of longevity can I expect out of an LR3? If its got 100k on it, do I still have lots of enjoyment left?

As far as off-roading, what about the DII gives it the edge? Can you be specific? Is it more of a technical win for the DII, or is the DII far superior?

The big surprise here for me are the options. I'm very happy to here that the LR3 is making headway in the customization department.

Edit: Just noticed that you are at Lucky8, that's where I plan to buy all the parts from. Glad to see you guys are still in business!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Someone on discoweb said that they has 220,000 miles on their Range Rover Sport (basically the same as an LR3) when they sold it and they said it ran great.

My LR3 has nearly 190,000 miles on it. It does have an issue or two, but I'd drive it across the country without a second thought.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by phil29
Fantastic, I'm glad I got a reply from someone who actually owns both. If you have time I'd like to pick your brain.
Not a problem, Im glad to offer my opinions.

I figured comfort and reliability would go to the LR3, that's no surprise. But would you mind elaborating on how readily you can perform maintenance (and common repairs like the HG's on the DII) on the LR3 vs the DII? Is there some sort of Rave for the LR3? Also, what kind of longevity can I expect out of an LR3? If its got 100k on it, do I still have lots of enjoyment left?
As far as a RAVE for the LR3, I am unaware of one, but I have Microcat at my disposal, which makes it real nice to look up parts. It should for the $ they charge annually.
I have done almost all my own maintenance on the LR3, including brakes, rotors, hubs, oil changes. Pretty much all the common D2 buggers are the same with the D3. The only D3 specific items would be the Lower control arms and the air compressor, both of which I also did on my own. Parts are readily available and reasonable. As far as major engine work, like the D2's needed head gaskets, I have not heard or seen an LR3 needing anything close to a "major repair".

As far as off-roading, what about the DII gives it the edge? Can you be specific? Is it more of a technical win for the DII, or is the DII far superior?
The LR3 is all computer. It really takes away a lot from the driver and tries to drive itself. The D2 really lets the driver make their own decision and makes you work for it. The LR3 is still pretty good off-road, but Ill take my D2 any day. One disadvantage of the LR3 would have to be the approach angle. The radiator and steering assemblies hang down much lower than on the D2, causing the need for a deeper bumper, hence negating the front angle. It is still manageable, but it is no D2.

The big surprise here for me are the options. I'm very happy to here that the LR3 is making headway in the customization department.
Absolutely. There are front and rear bumpers, sliders, racks, sump guards, tank plates, you name it. As far as lifts go, you are limited as there are few options between either using lift rods or a 2" coil conversion.

Edit: Just noticed that you are at Lucky8, that's where I plan to buy all the parts from. Glad to see you guys are still in business!
We do anything and everything we can to support the community, and we appreciate those that support us.

Thanks,

Erik

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jafir
Someone on discoweb said that they has 220,000 miles on their Range Rover Sport (basically the same as an LR3) when they sold it and they said it ran great.

My LR3 has nearly 190,000 miles on it. It does have an issue or two, but I'd drive it across the country without a second thought.

Agreed. I just towed my D2 to Uwharrie and back, 1,265 miles round trip using the LR3. 133k miles and drives like a champ.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

After a top hat conversion, I'd say reliability is a wash between the 2, giving you the best of both worlds.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

So a $7000 LR3 or a $7000 engine rebuild.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned both RRS and DII.
My first rover was an 06 RRS (essentially the same thing as a LR3). I put 265/65r18 BFG A/Ts on it, and wheeled it. It was excellent... Did everything I (thought) wanted it to.

Then I sold it and got my DII. other then some worn out OME shocks and springs, the drive train'ish is stock... open diffs, CDL, 16' BFG A/Ts. I do have other accessories, but they don't impact the off-roadness. I love the way the DII handles off-road. The ride is a lot smoother then the RRS ever was (off road). The RRS has a much harder feel (due to the air bags).

The analogy I use when people ask me "Why would you sell your RRS and get a DII" is this. The DII is like a SLR camera, the RRS is like a point and shoot.

As someone mentioned above... the DII requires more human interaction to control your vehicle, imo, this makes the off road experience more enjoyable. The RRS/LR3 is point and shoot... See an object, switch to 'rock crawl' mode, point the tires and step on the gas. There was not much thinking (other then choosing the appropriate line). I like moving the levers, shifting gears, perfecting throttle control, etc... All of which is done automagically for you in the LR3/RRS.

I'm attaching a PDF someone shared with me about how they designed the terrain response system in the LR3/RRS.. It is worth the read, very informative.

One thing I will say about any vehicle you choose.. Reliability = Knowledge. Know your vehicle, inside and out. When I got my DII I did a lot of reading, studying the RAVE and various forums. Joined the local club and learned everything I could possibly know about the truck. I don't know everything, but I'm confident that I carry the right parts and know enough to get off a trail. I'm not a mechanic, and the DII is the first vehicle i've really wrenched on (besides changing oil). The LR3/RRS should be the same. Know the vehicle.. rangerovers.net is a excellent resource with some VERY smart folks. Not sure about the LR3 forum, but the RRS forum is excellent (again they are the same vehicles)

Oh... at the end of the day, I ended up getting another RRS.. This time a 09 S/C... this one is strictly an airport taxi for me.. my DII (which I still have and love) goes off road, but does not fit in the garage at the airport with the SD rack on it... so I had to get another vehicle.. After previously owning a Sport, i cannot think of another vehicle I would rather drive.. The Sport is simply AWESOME in every way... Looks, feel, fit/finish, everything is top notch.

Attached Files
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Three Wheeling

This is why I love this community, I came here almost dead set on a DII, and now I'm leaning towards the LR3. The helpfulness of the Rover community is certainly what keeps this place alive. Thanks everyone for your perspectives.

One last question. On the LR3 is there any sort of big "unofficial" maintenance that needs to be done at certain milestones? IE, the DII has the 60k Disco Mike maintenance plan, does the LR3 have something similar?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '04 DII or LR3